Em formação

Eastman Patents Camera - História

Eastman Patents Camera - História


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

George Eastman patenteou a câmera portátil.

Uma história das empresas de câmeras e lentes de Rochester, NY

Esta é uma história muito complicada que abrange quase 100 anos, e acho que muitas vezes é difícil descobrir o que realmente aconteceu e classificar as inúmeras mudanças de nome e aquisições e combinações de empresas que ocorreram em Rochester, especialmente durante o período de 1890 a 1905. Pequenas empresas seriam formadas, muitas vezes por funcionários de outra empresa, e com frequência faliriam e seus ativos seriam absorvidos pela mesma ou por outra empresa. As empresas também seriam freqüentemente reorganizadas com um capital maior e um novo conjunto de diretores, geralmente com nomes diferentes, e é difícil decidir se são a mesma empresa ou se são diferentes. A Eastman era particularmente boa em adquirir uma empresa e depois deixá-la operar por anos com seu antigo nome, muitas vezes marcando em seus produtos & quotEastman Kodak Company, sucessora de. & quot Mesmo localizar o endereço de uma empresa não é uma pista real de propriedade, porque muitas vezes três ou mais empresas ocupariam o mesmo prédio.

Devo, neste ponto, reconhecer a grande ajuda que recebi de Don Lyon na classificação das várias empresas e personalidades e mudanças de propriedade, e particularmente por me dar acesso a seus volumosos registros e arquivos. Ele realmente deveria estar dando essa palestra em vez de mim. Obtive a maior parte das minhas informações nos diretórios das cidades e também alguns dos arquivos de catálogo da George Eastman House. Embora eu tenha descoberto muito sobre as inúmeras empresas ópticas e de câmeras de Rochester, meus registros estão longe de estar completos e, sem dúvida, continuarão a descobrir fatos interessantes por muitos anos. Se alguém detectar um erro em minha história, espero que o aponte para que eu possa acertar tudo na medida do possível.

Estou muito consciente de que deveria ter iniciado esta pesquisa antes que o centro de Rochester se despedaçasse para dar lugar ao circuito interno e ao projeto de Renovação Urbana. Algumas ruas desapareceram completamente, muitas mudaram de nome, prédios antigos foram demolidos para dar lugar a estacionamentos e muitas vezes é impossível descobrir onde uma empresa estava realmente localizada. Este problema tornou-se ainda mais difícil com a renumeração de ruas que ocorreu em 1899 e 1911.

Omiti deliberadamente empresas dedicadas principalmente à fabricação de filme, papel de impressão, porta-placas e semelhantes, e mais especialmente às empresas ópticas que fabricam apenas óculos, que tem sido um negócio muito ativo em Rochester ao longo dos anos. Portanto, omiti referências a empresas como Haloid, Defender e até mesmo a Xerox! As duas grandes empresas, Bausch and Lomb e Kodak, mantiveram-se notavelmente distantes das atividades uma da outra, e é possível para o historiador considerá-las separadamente, como eu fiz. As várias empresas de câmeras eram relacionadas de alguma forma à Kodak, enquanto as empresas de lentes e obturadores eram principalmente ligadas à Bausch and Lomb. É claro que houve exceções, como veremos. Também houve várias empresas que não tiveram nenhuma conexão com nenhum desses gigantes.

Bausch and Lomb

A indústria de foto-óptica em Rochester nasceu em 1880. Naquele ano, Bausch and Lomb começou a fazer lentes fotográficas, a Rochester Optical Company começou a fazer câmeras e George Eastman começou a fazer chapas. No entanto, minha história na verdade começa em 1853, quando J. J. Bausch fundou seu minúsculo negócio de espetáculos e ficou sentado esperando em vão pelos clientes.

John Jacob Bausch nasceu em Gross Suessen, Alemanha, de família pobre, e foi aprendiz de fabricante de óculos. Aos 20 anos, em 1850, decidiu emigrar para a América e, após uma angustiante viagem de 49 dias em um veleiro, desembarcou em Nova York. Ele seguiu para Buffalo, onde havia uma epidemia de cólera, e depois de tentar sem sucesso encontrar trabalho, mudou-se para Rochester, onde novamente teve a maior dificuldade em encontrar qualquer tipo de emprego. Ele finalmente, aos 23 anos, decidiu abrir uma ótica na Reynolds Arcade com o nome de & quotJ. J. Bausch, Optician & quot. Naquela época, quase ninguém neste país usava óculos, e muitas pessoas nunca tinham visto um par, então suas vendas foram quase nulas. Em 1856, como mostra seu cartão de visitas, sua loja era chamada de & quotJ. J. Bausch Optical Institute. & Quot

Em sua luta interminável para encontrar trabalho e até mesmo para sobreviver, Bausch foi muito ajudado por um certo Sr. Henry Lomb, um marceneiro, que provavelmente conheceu no clube Turn Verein. Lomb nasceu em 1828 e também emigrou da Alemanha em 1849. Ele era solteiro e, em 1853, decidiu se juntar a Bausch, onde passou a aprender o ofício de óptico, e alojou-se com a família Bausch, transferindo seus ganhos para eles. Com a eclosão da Guerra Civil, Lomb imediatamente se alistou e, finalmente, subiu ao posto de capitão. Ele retornou a Rochester em 1863 e, no ano seguinte, a empresa tornou-se & quotBausch and Lomb, oculista & quot. Nessa época, os negócios haviam melhorado a ponto de poderem abrir uma fábrica na esquina das ruas Andrews e Water. Henry Lomb casou-se em 1865 e, no ano seguinte, mudou-se para Nova York para atuar como agente de vendas da empresa lá. Ele morreu em 190S, e por causa de suas muitas atividades cívicas e particularmente seu grande interesse no Instituto de Tecnologia de Rochester, um belo poço memorial foi erguido em sua memória em 1932 em Rochester. A propósito, o nome da empresa foi mudado para & quotVulcanite Optical Instrument Company & quot de 1866 a 1876, visto que este material estava sendo amplamente utilizado para fazer armações de óculos. O nome foi alterado de volta para & quotBausch and Lomb Optical Company & quot em 1876. Após a Segunda Guerra Mundial, tornou-se & quotBausch and Lomb Inc. & quot

Após a Guerra Civil, o interesse por espetáculos aumentou rapidamente, e a empresa construiu uma fábrica ampliada em 1868 nas Ruas River and Water, seguida seis anos depois por um edifício ainda maior no local atual na St. Paul Street, a data 1874 sendo esculpida sobre a porta. Durante a Primeira Guerra Mundial, eles acrescentaram um grande edifício em frente ao antigo. Somos informados agora que a empresa planeja abandonar todo o estabelecimento e se mudar para o antigo prédio da Bond Clothing na North Goodman Street.

Voltando a 1875 a pedido do filho mais velho de Bausch, Edward, a empresa decidiu se ramificar em instrumentos ópticos, começando com o microscópio, para o qual havia uma demanda crescente. Para começar, eles contrataram um personagem temperamental chamado Ernst Gundlach, que já havia feito microscópios em Berlim e então morava em Hackensack, Nova Jersey. Gundlach foi contratado pela Bausch and Lomb de 1876 a 1878, mas eles brigavam com frequência e finalmente se separaram. O trabalho do microscópio, no entanto, prosseguiu com sucesso sob a direção de Edward Bausch, e em 1903 eles haviam vendido cerca de 44.000 instrumentos.

Bausch and Lomb adicionou lentes fotográficas à sua linha em 1883 e começou a fabricar venezianas em 1888. Em 1892, eles se tornaram a única empresa na América licenciada para fazer Zeiss Anastigmats e outras lentes. Eles também fizeram persianas Compound e Compur por acordo com Deckel. Esses arranjos foram finalmente encerrados na Primeira Guerra Mundial.

Algumas estatísticas de 1903 são impressionantes. Naquela época, a Bausch and Lomb estava fabricando cerca de 20 milhões de lentes para óculos por ano e havia fabricado 500.000 lentes fotográficas e 550.000 obturadores. Como sabem, a empresa ainda existe com filiais em várias outras cidades e no estrangeiro, fabricando uma vasta gama de produtos ópticos e electrónicos da mais elevada qualidade.

Gundlach

Mencionei aquele indivíduo difícil, Ernst Gundlach, que deixou Bausch and Lomb um tanto contra a vontade em 1878. Seu endereço na época era 171 St. Paul Street, enquanto Bausch and Lomb ficava no número 179, então ele morava praticamente ao lado da fábrica . Em 1879, Gundlach juntou-se a Lewis R. Sexton, e juntos eles montaram e operaram um estabelecimento de ótica em sua casa, enquanto Sexton dobrou como professor na escola nº 7, mais tarde se tornando diretor da Escola 17 e, em seguida, da Escola 9 . Com a certeza de que o negócio óptico estava em boas mãos, Gundlach mudou-se para Hartford, Connecticut, em 1880, onde viveu pelos quatro anos seguintes, ocupando-se de "Óptico". No ano seguinte, Sexton mudou o estabelecimento óptico para 29 Stone Street, onde se juntaram a ele dois outros oculistas, JC Reich e J. Zellweger. No diretório de Rochester de 1883, ele foi listado como & quotDealer in Ernst Gundlach's Microscopes and Objectives. & Quot

Lewis R. Sexton morreu em agosto de 1884 após ter abandonado a ótica, e Gundlach retornou imediatamente a Rochester. Ele reorganizou o negócio na 29 Stone Street como a & quotGundlach Optical Company & quot, com ele mesmo, Reich, Zellweger e H. H. Turner, um maquinista, como oficiais. Eles alegaram em sua publicidade ser & quotFabricantes de solos de microscópios e objetivos de E. Gundlach & quot. Durante os oito anos seguintes, a empresa ocupou vários locais diferentes, terminando finalmente em 1892 na 761 South Clinton Avenue, onde permaneceram até meados da década de 1930. Em 1889, Gundlach juntou-se a seu filho Karl, que viveu com ele por muitos anos.

No início de 1895, por alguma razão, Ernst Gundlach deixou a empresa e estabeleceu uma empresa rival chamada & quotGundlach Photo-óptico Company & quot em 5 South Water Street, visto que aquele prédio estava sendo desocupado pela Rochester Optical Company. Em um anúncio publicado no American Journal of Photography, vol. XV, de agosto de 1895, ele afirmou que & quotErnst Gundlach cortou todas as conexões com a antiga 'Gundlach Optical Company', e agora somos os únicos proprietários de sua patente de 9 de dezembro de 1890, sob a qual seu célebre 'Rectigráfico Rápido', ' Perigraphic 'e outras lentes foram feitas por tanto tempo.'

No final de 1895, o nome da segunda empresa foi alterado para & quotErnst Gundlach, Lens Manufacturers & quot e em 1896 foi alterado novamente para & quotErnst Gundlach, Son, and Co. & quot então em 202 Court Street, os oficiais sendo BW Fenn, ZP Taylor, GB Gilbert e AS Gilbert. No entanto, o negócio não pode ter dado muito certo, pois dois anos depois os Gundlachs deixaram a cidade e se mudaram para Chicago. Depois que eles saíram, a fábrica foi renomeada para & quotThe Rochester Lens Company & quot e operada por Fenn e Gilbert. Foi finalmente adquirido por Wollensak em 1905.

Voltando à Gundlach Optical Company original: em 1895 HH Turner era gerente, J. Zellweger e JC Reich eram oculistas e, em 1896, adquiriram a Milburn Korona Company, que havia sido fundada dois anos antes por Gustave G. Milburn, e assim adicionaram câmeras Korona à linha anterior de lentes. Em 1896, eles também começaram a anunciar venezianas e adicionaram a Turner-Reich Anastigmat (Pat. US 539.370) à sua lista de lentes. Em 1898, Turner era presidente e gerente, Zellweger era vice-presidente e secretário e tesoureiro do Reich. Em agosto de 1902, a empresa adquiriu a Manhattan Optical Company Of Cresskill, New Jersey, e mudou o nome da empresa para & quotGundlach-Manhattan Optical Company. & Quot. incluindo a Rochester Panoramic Camera Company (1905), a Seneca Camera Company (1903-1910) e a Ilex Optical Company (1912-1916).

Por volta de 1926, o nome foi mudado para Gundlach Manufacturing Company, e em 1928 foi adquirido por John E. Seebold, presidente, e Walter H. Ashby como vice-presidente, sob o estranho nome de & quotSeebold Invisible Camera Company. & Quot Seebold deixou no ano seguinte e Ashby tornou-se presidente. Eles sofreram muito na depressão e finalmente se mudaram para Fairport em outubro de 1935, seu antigo prédio na Clinton Avenue se tornando a Loja de Móveis Kane. No início de 1954, seus ativos restantes foram adquiridos por Albert Drucker, da Burke and James em Chicago, e finalmente reorganizados como & quotDynamic Optics Inc. & quot com David Goldstein como presidente. A empresa encerrou as operações em 1972. Em 1946, o filho do Sr. Turner, Donald, fundou a Turner Bellows Company, que ainda existe em 165 North Water Street, produzindo milhares de foles por dia para a Polaroid.

Wollensak

A segunda empresa a se ramificar da Bausch and Lomb foi a Wollensak. Andrew Wollensak foi contratado pela primeira vez como maquinista por Bausch and Lomb em 1882 e tornou-se capataz no ano seguinte. Ele ajudou Edward Bausch com o design da persiana do diafragma Iris em 1890 e provavelmente trabalhou em outras persianas também. Em 1899, ele e seu irmão John decidiram fundar uma nova empresa com o propósito de fabricar uma linha de persianas de alta qualidade que pudessem ser vendidas a um preço razoável. Os irmãos conseguiram ajuda financeira de Stephen Rauber, ex-presidente da Union Brewing Company na North Clinton Avenue, e a nova empresa, Rauber and Wollensak, foi estabelecida em um prédio na 280 Central Avenue. O Sr. Rauber morreu em 1901 e o nome da empresa foi então alterado para Wollensak Optical Company. No ano seguinte, Wollensak iniciou a produção de lentes e também de persianas. A famosa veneziana 'Optimo' foi projetada por Andrew Wollensak em 1909 e foi vendida extensivamente até 1930. A empresa adquiriu a Rochester Lens Company em 1905, obtendo assim o direito de fabricar a linha de anastigmat 'Royal' desenvolvida por aquela empresa.

Andrew Wollensak sênior, presidente da empresa desde sua fundação, morreu em janeiro de 1936, seu irmão John havia morrido três anos antes. John deixou cinco filhos, dos quais Andrew A. e Frank J. permaneceram ativos no negócio por muitos anos, e eu conhecia os dois. Em 1913, a empresa mudou-se para 1415 Clinton Avenue North em Norton Street, e em 1924 para 872 Hudson Avenue. Em 1938, um prédio maior e mais desejável alguns metros ao sul, na Avenida Hudson 850, ficou vazio (havia sido uma fábrica de roupas), e Wollensak mudou-se para ele. Infelizmente, durante os últimos 15 anos, após várias mudanças de propriedade, incluindo Revere e 3M, a empresa gradualmente entrou em declínio e em 1972 finalmente fechou suas portas.

Wollensak era uma das melhores empresas de Rochester e, em seu auge, em 1958, tinha mais de 1.200 funcionários. Suas lentes, venezianas e outros produtos eram considerados excelentes e, durante a guerra, eles fabricaram uma grande variedade de equipamentos ópticos para as forças armadas. É uma pena que não tenham conseguido sobreviver.

Ilex

A próxima ramificação de Bausch and Lomb foi Ilex. Em 1910, dois designers de venezianas da Bausch and Lomb chamados Rudolph Klein e Theodor Brueck (o último havia projetado a veneziana & quotVolute & quot em 1902) inventaram o revolucionário e extremamente importante mecanismo de retardo do obturador envolvendo uma engrenagem giratória e um palete oscilante (Patente US 1.092.110). Este dispositivo, pela primeira vez, permitiu a construção de um obturador que seria preciso independentemente da temperatura e de outras condições atmosféricas.

Klein e Brueck decidiram deixar a Bausch and Lomb e abrir seu próprio negócio, denominado & quotXL Manufacturing Company & quot, para fabricar a nova persiana. Eles foram ajudados financeiramente por um joalheiro de atacado chamado Morris Rosenbloom, e eles montaram sua primeira fábrica em suas instalações em 156 Main Street East. No entanto, eles logo descobriram que a CP Goerz também estava fazendo uma linha das chamadas persianas & quotX excel L & quot, então para evitar confusão eles torceram as letras e renomearam suas persianas para & quotIlex, & quot e em 1911 a empresa foi chamada de Ilex Manufacturing Company . Logo depois, Friedrich Deckel, de Munique, solicitou permissão para usar seu mecanismo de atraso com base em royalties na famosa linha de venezianas & quotCompur & quot, que provou ser uma ajuda financeira considerável para a Ilex.

De 1912 a 1916 a empresa, agora chamada de Ilex Optical Company, ocupou espaço no edifício Gundlach na 761 South Clinton Avenue, em 1917 eles se mudaram para 724 Portland Avenue e, eventualmente, em 1930 para 690 Portland, onde estão hoje. Em 1921, eles tentaram a experiência de montar uma fábrica de lentes separada na 814 St. Paul Street, chamada de & quotAcme Optical Company & quot, mas durou apenas alguns anos.

Uma das principais contribuições da empresa Ilex foi a invenção de um mecanismo de sincronização de flash interno independente durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial. Este foi desenhado por Alfred Schwartz, e a ideia foi, obviamente, incorporada em todas as venezianas por todos os fabricantes desde então.

Ilex sofreu muitos altos e baixos na prosperidade ao longo dos anos. O primeiro presidente, Morris Rosenbloom, morreu em 1935 e foi sucedido por seu filho Rufus como presidente e E. C. Roland como vice-presidente. Roland morreu em 1942 e, após a guerra, a sorte da empresa afundou. Finalmente, em 1963, os restantes ativos foram adquiridos por dois jovens funcionários da Elgeet, Eugene Miller e Manuel Kiner, e hoje a empresa está a prosperar com mais de 200 funcionários, tendo de aumentar o espaço fabril para fazer face à procura dos seus produtos.

Elgeet

Falar em Ilex me lembra Elgeet. A Elgeet Optical Company foi fundada por três jovens que haviam sido amigos de infância: Mortimer A. London, então inspetor de lentes na Kodak, com David L. Goldstein e Peter Terbuska da Ilex. (O nome da empresa é uma sigla de L, G. e T). Em 1946, eles começaram a alugar algumas máquinas-ferramentas para fazer máquinas de polimento de lentes e, com isso, estabeleceram uma loja em um loft na Atlantic Avenue, onde fabricavam, embalavam e vendiam suas próprias lentes.

Em 1952, a empresa havia crescido o suficiente para permitir a compra de uma antiga fábrica de roupas em 838 Smith Street. Naquela época, Goldstein era presidente, Terbuska era secretária e tesoureira de Londres. A empresa prosperou e, com quase 300 funcionários, eles fabricaram milhares de lentes para pequenas câmeras de cinema e muitas outras aplicações.

Londres saiu em 1960 e, em 1962, a empresa adquiriu a propriedade do antigo estabelecimento de Steinheil em Munique, mas eles logo o venderam, acredito que para Lear Siegler. Em 1964, houve dificuldades nas reuniões de acionistas e a empresa foi reorganizada com Alfred Watson como presidente. Dois anos depois, os ativos da empresa foram adquiridos pela MATI (Management and Technology Inc.), que na mesma época adquiriu a Turner Bellows. O MATI sobreviveu apenas até 1969, quando desapareceram. Goldstein comprou os ativos remanescentes da antiga Gundlach Manufacturing Company em Fairport e reorganizou-a sob o nome de & quotDynamic Optics Incorporated & quot, mas também encerrou as operações em 1972.

The Rochester Optical Company

Isso é demais para Bausch and Lomb e suas empresas filhas. Vamos agora voltar nossa atenção para o negócio de câmeras iniciado por William H. Walker, que veio para Rochester em 1880 e se estabeleceu como & quotWm. H. Walker and Company & quot, em 79 Exchange Street. (Ele não deve ser confundido com James T. Walker de Palmyra, que fez a câmera Takiv dez anos depois). Em 1882, Walker juntou-se a W. H. Reid e J. Inglis para fazer pratos secos, um negócio mantido por Inglis por vários anos. Em 1883, Walker desistiu de fabricar câmeras e a & quotRochester Optical Company & quot foi fundada por W. F. Carlton para assumir o controle de seus ativos. Enquanto isso, em janeiro de 1884, Walker juntou-se à Eastman para fazer o Eastman-Walker Roll Holder e, no ano seguinte, tornou-se secretário da Eastman Dry Plate and Film Company. Pouco depois, ele foi enviado para a Inglaterra como representante de Eastman naquele país.

A nova Rochester Optical Company estava localizada na Aqueduct Street 9 e 11, perto das quatro esquinas de Rochester, e no início eles continuaram a fazer algumas das câmeras de Walker. Eles logo adicionaram novos modelos próprios, sua inovação de maior sucesso sendo a linha & quotPremo & quot, lançada em 1893 e continuada por quase 30 anos. Em 1890, a fábrica foi transferida para 5 South Water Street, e no início de 1895 para sua última casa na 45 South Street, o prédio ainda existia.

Em 1891, H. B. Carlton, irmão de W. F., decidiu fundar uma empresa rival no antigo prédio em 13 Aqueduct Street, que ele chamou de & quotRochester Camera Manufacturing Company & quot, fabricando câmeras Poco. Esta se tornou a Rochester Camera Company em 1895, na época localizada na 29 Elizabeth Street, e finalmente em 1897 a Rochester Camera and Supply Company.

Em 1899, cinco empresas de câmeras decidiram unir forças para formar a & quotRochester Optical and Camera Company. & Quot. Elas eram: a Rochester Optical Company, a Rochester Camera and Supply Company, a Ray Camera Company, a Monroe Camera Company e a Western Camera Manufacturing Company de Chicago. A nova empresa combinada ocupou a R.O.C. edifício na 45 South Street. Apesar dessa união, seus produtos mantiveram seus antigos nomes de Poco, Premo, Ray e Cyclone. Os diretores da nova empresa eram W. F. Carlton, gerente, com H. B. Carlton, B. E. Chase e F. P. Allen. Infelizmente, a nova empresa combinada não foi um sucesso e perdeu até $ 100.000 por ano, então em 1903 todos os seus ativos foram adquiridos por George Eastman por $ 330.000, e seu nome foi mudado de volta para Rochester Optical Company. Em 1907, tornou-se a Rochester Optical Division da Eastman Kodak Company e, em 1918, o Rochester Optical Department. A fábrica na 45 South Street tornou-se a Premo Works da Kodak de 1912 a 1921, após o que o nome foi finalmente abandonado e o prédio vendido.

The Ray Camera Company

Ao descrever a formação da Rochester Optical and Camera Company, mencionei duas pequenas empresas incluídas, a saber, a Ray e a Monroe. A empresa Ray foi fundada por dois homens chamados Mutschler e Robertson. Em 1893, Albert Mutschler era um fabricante de ferramentas e John A. Robertson um capataz da Photo Materials Company na St. Paul Street. No ano seguinte, eles decidiram organizar um estabelecimento de maquinistas e modelistas em 177 West Main e, em 1895, iniciaram a fabricação de câmeras & quotRay & quot naquele endereço. Isso aparentemente foi bem-sucedido e, em 1898, eles se mudaram para 204 Commercial Street e renomearam a empresa como & quotRay Camera Company. & Quot. Com a fusão das cinco empresas em 1899, os dois sócios se tornaram superintendentes, mas Mutschler saiu em 1903 para se tornar mais uma vez um maquinista. Robertson permaneceu na nova Rochester Optical Company e em 1904 foi eleito vice-presidente encarregado das operações de manufatura.

The Monroe Camera Company

A Monroe Camera Company, em homenagem ao condado de Monroe, foi constituída em 1897 com um capital de $ 25.000, sendo o presidente Fred A. Sherwood, o vice-presidente Albert Beir e o secretário-tesoureiro Charles V. Case. Sherwood era um negociante de couro na 108 Mill Street Beir tinha sido um fabricante de câmeras na 21 North Water Street por cerca de um ano antes e Charles Case era um contador. Seu filho Charles Z. Case tornou-se funcionário da Eastman e foi responsável pelo desenvolvimento do filme & quotBantam & quot na década de 1930. A Monroe Camera Company ocupou um prédio em 48 Stone Street, mas durou apenas três anos antes de ser absorvida no amalgamação de Rochester Optical and Camera.

Eastman Kodak Company

A terceira parte da minha história trata de George Eastman e da Kodak Company. Esta história foi tão bem documentada que provavelmente é do conhecimento de todos vocês, mas, no entanto, pode valer a pena resumir os principais fatos brevemente. Em 1878, George Eastman era um jovem contador assistente de 24 anos no Rochester Savings Bank em Main and Fitzhugh Ruas. Ele morava com sua mãe viúva na Avenida Jones, 49. Tendo sido instado por um amigo a começar a fotografar, ele comprou uma roupa de chapa úmida e teve aulas com um fotógrafo chamado George H. Monroe que mora na Main Street. No entanto, os pratos secos de gelatina estavam começando a ser usados ​​naquela época na Inglaterra, e Eastman decidiu usá-los, embora isso significasse que ele teria que fazer os seus próprios. Em 1879, ele fez uma viagem para Londres, onde obteve mais algumas receitas e, incidentalmente, patenteou uma máquina de revestimento de placas de sua própria invenção. Suas placas eram tão satisfatórias que em 1880 ele alugou um loft no terceiro andar de um prédio na 101 State Street, onde começou a fabricar placas secas para venda. Seu principal distribuidor foi E. e H. T. Anthony em Nova York, que concordou em levar todas as placas que pudesse fazer. Durante esse tempo, ele continuou seu emprego no banco, fazendo todo o seu trabalho fotográfico à noite. A propósito, o ex-professor de Eastman, George H. Monroe, em um anúncio de 1880, afirmou que usou chapas secas em todo o seu trabalho fotográfico. Em 1882, Monroe também começou a fazer pratos secos para venda, na 282 State Street, e continuou esse negócio até que deixou a cidade em 1888 e se mudou para Jamestown. O prédio foi ocupado por Frank Brownell até 1892.

Para retornar a George Eastman, ele logo descobriu que precisava de dinheiro para expansão, então, em 1º de janeiro de 1881, ele formou uma sociedade com Henry A. Strong, um fabricante de chicotes para carrinhos e amigo da família. Era conhecida como Eastman Dry Plate Company, com Strong como presidente e tesoureiro da Eastman. Eles logo tinham seis funcionários e estavam tão ativamente envolvidos no negócio de chapas que Eastman finalmente decidiu deixar o banco e dedicar todo o seu tempo à fotografia. A fábrica foi transferida para a localização atual em 343 State Street em 1883. O prédio com pedágio no local foi erguido em 1914 e os três andares superiores foram acrescentados em 1930.

Em 1884, a Eastman começou a fazer um filme flexível sobre uma base de papel oleado translúcido para uso no suporte de rolo Eastman-Walker, e a empresa foi incorporada como a & quotEastman Dry Plate and Film Company & quot, com uma capitalização de $ 200.000. Havia 14 acionistas. No ano seguinte, foi lançada a película de decapagem sobre base de papel. Após o processamento, este foi embebido e transferido para um suporte temporário de vidro, e uma folha de gelatina transparente foi embebida e espremida contra o delicado negativo, e após a secagem foi removida do vidro para impressão. Finalmente, em 1889, um filme transparente à base de nitrato de celulose foi produzido e patenteado por Eastman e seu químico Henry H. Reichenbach. Isso suplantou completamente o filme de strip-tease anterior e foi adotado por Edison em seus primeiros experimentos com filmes. Não tenho tempo de entrar no fantástico processo de patente da Goodwin sobre a invenção do filme transparente, que está totalmente descrito no livro de Taft & quotFotografia e a cena americana & quot. O processo correu por 27 anos nos tribunais e no Escritório de Patentes, e foi finalmente resolvido em favor de Goodwin. Em 1889, uma nova corporação foi organizada, capitalizada em um milhão de dólares, chamada simplesmente de & quotThe Eastman Company. & Quot

De grande interesse para este grupo, a primeira câmera & quotKodak & quot foi anunciada em junho de 1888. O corpo de madeira foi feito aqui por um marceneiro de Rochester chamado Frank Brownell, e as peças de metal por Yawman e Erbe. A lente provavelmente foi feita por Bausch and Lomb. Com base no sucesso desta câmera, o nome da empresa foi mudado mais uma vez, em 1892, para & quotThe Eastman Kodak Company & quot of New York, com um capital de 5 milhões de dólares e em 1901 foi reorganizada pela última vez como & quotThe Eastman Kodak Company of New Jersey, & quot com capital de 25 milhões de dólares. Eastman montou a Camera Works sob a direção de Brownell na 333 State Street em 1892. Ela foi transferida para Elmgrove Road em 1968.

O sucesso de Eastman sobre seus muitos concorrentes deveu-se principalmente à propaganda massiva e a uma excelente organização de vendas com afiliações mundiais, à qual deve ser adicionada sua habilidade fantástica de contratar as pessoas certas e antecipar o que melhor agradaria ao público.

Eastman adquiriu algumas outras empresas de câmeras, incluindo em 1898 a Blair Camera Company de Boston, a American Camera Manufacturing Company de Northboro, Massachusetts, e a Empresa de materiais fotográficos de Rochester. Ele mudou todas as três empresas, com algumas outras empresas menores, para o edifício PMC em St. Paul Street, perto de Driving Park Bridge. Em 1911, o prédio foi batizado de & quotHawk-Eye Works & quot em homenagem a uma linha de câmeras feitas lá por Blair. O departamento de lentes da Kodak foi transferido da Camera Works em 1913, que desde então ocupou todo o prédio, além de várias adições. O edifício ainda está em uso na 1447 St. Paul Street, foi amplamente expandido durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial.

Em 1903, Eastman comprou a Rochester Optical and Camera Company, rebatizando-a de & quotRochester Optical Company & quot, onde as câmeras Premo continuaram a ser fabricadas até 1922, quando esse nome foi abandonado. Em 1905, ele adquiriu a Folmer and Schwing, como veremos. Eastman morreu em 1932, aos 78 anos. Logo depois de virmos para Rochester, em 1929, tivemos a sorte de ser convidados para um dos musicais do Sr. Eastman nas tardes de domingo, provavelmente por causa de nossa conexão com o novo Instituto de Óptica Aplicada em a Universidade. Ele apareceu apenas brevemente no final da noite. Eu o vi novamente pouco antes de sua morte, enquanto ele estava em uma visita à Universidade.

The Photo Materials Company

Das várias empresas adquiridas pela Eastman, gostaria de referir três, nomeadamente, a Photo Materials Company (PMC) Folmer and Schwing e a Century Camera Company. A Photo Materials Company foi incorporada em 1892 por Henry M. Reichenbach, um químico que trabalhou com Eastman por vários anos no desenvolvimento do filme de nitrato de celulose Gustave D. Milburn, um fabricante de câmeras e S. Carl Passavant, outro químico.

Milburn abriu sua fábrica de câmeras na Aqueduct Street 11 quando a Rochester Optical Company se mudou, e em 1891 a rival Rochester Camera Company também encontrou espaço no mesmo prédio. Milburn desistiu de seu negócio em 1892 para ajudar a fundar a PMC, onde atuou como vendedor por alguns anos. No entanto, em 1894, quando a PMC desistiu de fazer suas câmeras Trokon e Trokonet, Milburn saiu e começou sua segunda empresa de câmeras no sopé da Platt Street. Aqui, ele desenvolveu a linha de câmeras Of & quotKorona & quot e, em 1895, mudou o nome de sua empresa para Milburn Korona Company. Esta empresa foi adquirida por Gundlach em 1896 e Milburn morreu ou deixou a cidade.

A Photo Materials Company fabricou uma variedade de materiais fotográficos sensibilizados, incluindo o papel & quotPMC Bromide Paper & quot e & quotAzo & quot, ambos mantidos pela Eastman depois que ele adquiriu a PMC em 1898. A empresa foi finalmente fundida com a Eastman em 1902.

Reichanbach, Morey e Will

Embora Henry Reichenbach fosse um químico, ele evidentemente tinha um grande interesse por câmeras, pois em 1896 ele deixou a PMC e se juntou a John E. Morey, da empresa Rochester Cut Sole, e a Albert Will, fabricante de fogões e fogões, para fundar um empresa para fazer câmeras & quotAlta & quot estava localizada em um prédio na 323 University Avenue. Reichenbach was president, Morey treasurer, and Will secretary of the new enterprise. I must explain that at that time University Avenue went along what is now Atlantic Avenue, the eastern end of the present University Avenue being a cul-de-sac with trees down the middle, called Culver Park. In 1897 Culver Park was cut through to join Culver Road, and the whole street was then called University Avenue, as it is today. The old road was renamed Atlantic Avenue but it was not renumbered, so that 323 University Avenue became 323 Atlantic Avenue. Two years later, in 1899, much of the city was renumbered, and Atlantic Avenue was numbered from the junction, so the Reichenbach Morey and Will building became 59 Atlantic. It was all one building with numbers 61 and 65, and indeed the three numbers seem to have been used somewhat interchangeably.

Vogt Optical Company

In 1891 a man named Louis J. Vogt, who had operated the Vogt and Klippert machine shop and model-making establishment at 151 State Street, left to become an optician at Bausch and Lomb. He later joined Reichenbach, Morey and Will as a foreman. Apparently there was dissension within the company, because in 1899 he and Mr. Morey decided to start a separate company called the Vogt Optical Company at 146 North Water Street. The following year (1900), Reichenbach, Morey and Will was disbanded and the Vogt Company moved into their building, along with the Rochester Lens Company and the Century Camera Company. The Vogt Company survived only one more year, but the Rochester Lens Company lasted until 1905 when it was acquired by Wollensak, and Century in 1903 moved to 12 Caledonia Avenue (now 154 Clarissa Street). The building at 65 Atlantic Avenue was apparently occupied by other firms until 1909 when the Crown Optical Company moved in and occupied it until 1912. The building is still standing but terribly run down.

Século

The Century Camera Company was founded in 1900 by three former employees of the Rochester Optical Company, namely, J. M. Walmsley, president, G. E. Mosher, and G. J. MacLaughlin. They first occupied space at 65 Atlantic Avenue along with Vogt and the Rochester Lens Company. In 1903 their stock was acquired by George Eastman and the company was moved to 12 Caledonia Avenue. In 1905 the Century Company took over the Rochester Panoramic Camera Company, maker of the Cirkut camera, which had been patented in 1904 by Johnston, Reavill, and Brehm. In 1907 they became the Century Division of Eastman Kodak. They were merged into Folmer Graflex, but the name "Century" continued to exist until 1920.

Graflex

In 1887 William F. Folmer and William E. Schwing entered into partnership to establish a bicycle company in New York City. The company was incorporated in April 1890 as the "Folmer and Schwing Manufacturing Company." Because of the general association of bicycles and cameras at that time, the company gradually added cameras to their line, probably made first by Scovill and Adams. Their 1896 catalog shows a "4 x 5 Cycle Graphic camera" on the back page this sold for $25 with a Victor shutter and Rapid Rectilinear lens. They also listed regular "Graphic" cameras in three sizes up to 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches, costing $50.

Mr. Folmer was an inventor, and in 1898 he built the first Graflex camera. This had a complicated focal-plane shutter with a variable aperture, but it gave so much trouble that in 1904 he changed it to a simple cloth curtain with a series of apertures of different widths, leaving the user to select the one required for any given exposure. This arrangement proved to be highly reliable, and it was manufactured for over 60 years.

In April 1905 the Folder and Schwing Manufacturing Company was purchased by George Eastman and brought to Rochester, where it was installed in the building at 12-14 Caledonia Avenue. This building had been previously occupied by the Rochester Camera Company, in 1898, and by the Century Camera Company since 1903. In 1907 the company became the Folmer and Schwing Division of Eastman Kodak Company, and in 1917 the Folmer-Century Division. Mr. W. F. Folmer continued as general manager until 1926.

In 1926, as a result of a court order, the Folmer-Century Division of Eastman Kodak Company was offered for sale, but no buyers appeared. So finally the Folmer Graflex Corporation was organized to take over the assets of the Division. Mr. Nelson Whitaker became president and general manager in 1928, and his son Gaylord C. Whitaker succeeded him in 1949. The company became known as "Graflex Inc." in 1945.

Business was bad during the depression of the 1930's, and the payroll dropped to less than 100 employees. However, things gradually improved and we learn that by 1957 there were 760 employees. The best known product of the company was for a long time the "Speed Graphic", a solid reliable camera that was the work-horse of the press photographer indeed, it almost became his badge of office. Numerous other models have, of course, been made over the years.

In August 1956 Graflex became a division of General Precision Equipment Corporation, and in July 1957 the plant was moved out to 3750 Monroe Avenue, near Pittsford. The company became the Graflex Division of the Singer Corporation in 1966, and it is now known as "Singer Education Systems", engaged in making audio-visual equipment.

Sunart and Seneca

Besides the three main divisions of photo history that have been discussed, there have been a number of other companies, not all small, that have had no connection with the larger companies. Chief among these is the Sunart Photo Company that became Seneca.

The Sunart Photo Company was founded in 1893 at 1 Aqueduct Street, and it continued in that location until 1899. They made a novel magazine camera, but it was not particularly successful, and in 1899 its assets were acquired by a vigorous group of men who were establishing the Seneca Camera Company at 248 Mill Street. The new company was incorporated in 1900 with a capital of $25,000. The first officers were Frank T. Day, a superintendent at Kodak Camera Works, president William C. Whitlock, vice-president and Lorin E. Mason, a hardware merchant at 348 State Street, secretary and treasurer. The new company quickly became established as one of the most successful camera manufacturers in the country.

In 1900 Seneca moved to 160 Court Street, and in 1903 to the Gundlach building at 761 South Clinton. In 1910 they moved again to the Woodworth building at 299 State Street, and in 1917 to Central Avenue where they occupied several locations. In 1924 the company was sold to Conley, then a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Roebuck, and Seneca disappeared from the city in 1926.

In late 1901 or early 1902, Seneca absorbed the Bullard Camera Company of Springfield, Massachusetts, when Edgar R. Bullard, the founder, returned to his original home at Wheeling, West Virginia. The 1902 Seneca catalog carries these words: "Successor to Sunart Photo Co. and Bullard Camera Co."

As a personal note, my father in London used a 4 x 5 Bullard magazine camera for many years. It was equipped with a Koilos shutter and a Voigtlander Collinear lens, which must have been added later as that particular shutter was first made about 1906. My own first camera was a 4 x 5 folding Seneca with a Wollensak "Uno" shutter. I acquired it in exchange for a set of box tops of the cereal called "Force" about 1912, and I used it regularly until one day I could not resist taking the shutter to pieces, and in the process a wire spring flew out and I never found it again. The shutter was useless without it, and so also was the camera. I still have a number of glass negatives made with that early Seneca.

The Crown Optical Company

This company was founded in 1906 by A. H. Hatmaker, president, and A. E. May secretary-treasurer, to manufacture lenses. They first occupied a building at 484 Clinton Avenue South, and moved to 65 Atlantic Avenue in 1909, to 299 State Street in 1912, and finally to 203 State Street in 1917. They disappeared in 1919 at the close of World War I.

Projection Optics

One of the few Rochester companies that has apparently existed by itself and free from any alliances or encumbrances is the Projection Optics Company. It was founded in 1918 by William H. Repp, at 203 State Street, and in 1930 it was moved to its present address at 330 Lyell Avenue. Its principal product is a line of projection lenses for professional motion picture projectors. The company was acquired in the 1960's by Beseler of New York, but it remains a largely autonomous organization to this day, after being in existence for 56 years.

Gassner and Marx

Probably the least known of the Rochester camera companies was Gassner and Marx. The founders were Benjamin Marx, president James Rothschild, vice-president and Henry Gassner, secretary-treasurer. The company occupied rooms in the Cox building at 36 St. Paul Street in 1898, and it was incorporated in that year. They manufactured the "Day Plate Camera", a box camera containing a special magazine in which a folded strip of black paper carried a series of separated 3 x 4 -inch glass plates (Pat. Sept. 6, 1898), permitting daylight loading. The arrangement was described in Scientific American for October 8, 1898. The company and all its officers left the city during the following year (1899).

Movette

The Movette was an unusual negative-positive motion picture system using a special 17 1/2 millimeter film, with two perforations to a frame on each side. The frame size was 11 x 14 mm, and a special Kodak film was supplied in cassettes holding 50 feet which ran for two minutes. The hand-cranked camera retailed for $30 and the projector for $55, a packet of film costing $1.50 with another $1.50 for a positive print. The inventor of the system was a Mr. Frank L. Hough of Chicago.

The Movette Camera Company was organized in Rochester in 1916, and was first located at 1155 University Avenue. In November 1917 it was incorporated as Movette Inc., with a capital stock of $1,250,000, and the plant was moved to 545 West Avenue. In 1920 they moved again to 295 State Street, the building later occupied by the Photostat Corporation. The chairman was then Homer Strong, the secretary W. F. Strang, and the president was Howard Strong, secretary to the Rochester Chamber of Commerce. In 1921 Howard Strong moved to New York, and Homer Strong took over the presidency. In 1922 the company moved to 101 North Water Street, and by 1927 it had disappeared.

In spite of everything, the Movette had little appeal to the public. Possibly the need for a separate positive print may have been one reason. Certainly the Kodak 16mm reversal system announced in June 1923 proved to be infinitely more successful and quickly replaced all other systems.

Photostat and Rectigraph

These early types of document copying cameras using sensitized paper in a large camera, with a prism in front of the lens to reverse the image, must be included in my story although they have now practically disappeared.

The Rectigraph company was founded in Rochester in 1909, and after occupying a few places was moved to its final location at 282 Hollenbeck Street in 1921. In 1937 it became the Rectigraph Division of Haloid in 1958 of Haloid-Xerox and in 1961 the company was merged into the Xerox Corporation. Obviously, with electrostatic copying working so well the old type of photocopier using wet processing quickly became obsolete.

The Photostat Corporation was incorporated in Rhode Island in 1911, and the company set up an office and factory at 299 State Street, Rochester, in 1921. In 1956 they moved out of town, to 1001 Jefferson Road in Henrietta, and in 1963 it was absorbed by Itek and is now known as "Itek Business Products." Undoubtedly the old familiar type of Photostat machine has disappeared forever.

Present day optics companies in Rochester

Besides Kodak, Bausch and Lomb, Ilex, and Projection Optics, there are Tropel of Fairport, making very high quality lenses (now owned by Coherent Optics of California) Anson Instrument Company and Anstron Optical Company in the former Wollensak building on Hudson Avenue Planar Optics making prisms of all types Stefan Sydor Optics Dorn Optics in Webster Fresnel Optics on Mount Read Boulevard making high precision molds for Fresnel Lenses JML Optical Industries (was Precision Optics) and several smaller companies. The optical center of America is no longer in Rochester, but spread between Boston and Los Angeles.

Rudolf Kingslake , the author of numerous books on lens and optical design, has spent his lifetime designing and teaching about lenses and optics. Born in London, England, he moved to the United States in 1929 to help establish The Institute of Optics at the University of Rochester. In 1937 he became head of the lens design department at Eastman Kodak. He returned to the University of Rochester upon retiring from Kodak.

In his honor, the annual Rudolf Kingslake Medal and Prize is presented by The International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) in recognition of the most noteworthy original paper to appear in Optical Engineering, the SPIE journal on theoretical or experimental aspects of optical engineering.

In addition, Mr. Kingslake is an honorary member of the Optics Society of America (OSA), an honor that can only be bestowed once per year, and the number of honorary members cannot exceed 1/1000 of the total OSA membership.


Eastman Patents Camera - History

Objectively innovate empowered manufactured products whereas parallel platforms. Holisticly predominate extensible testing procedures for reliable supply chains. Dramatically engage top-line web services vis-a-vis cutting-edge deliverables.

Eastman Kodak Co. Camera Listing

CLICK HERE for an icon list view of the Eastman Kodak Cameras

Kodak Cameras - Made in the USA

1931 - 1934 Camp Fire Girls (V.P. Model B)
1933 - 1933 Century of Progress World Fair Souvenir
1933 - 1933 Century of Progress - Eastman Box
1953 - 1956 Chevron
1930 - 1932 Coquette Camera (lipstick & compact)

1939 - 1940 New York World's Fair Baby Brownie
1939 - 1940 New York World's Fair Bullet Camera

1916 - 1927 No. 2C Autographic Kodak Junior
1923 - 1928 No. 2C Autographic Kodak Special w/coupled rangefinder
1905 - 1911 No. 2C Brownie
1924 - 1931 No. 2C Kodak Series III
1926 - 1932 No. 2C Pocket Kodak
1928 - 1933 No. 2C Pocket Kodak Special Camera

1931 - 1934 Camp Fire Girls (V.P. Model B)
1933 - 1933 Century of Progress World Fair Souvenir
1933 - 1933 Century of Progress - Eastman Box
1953 - 1956 Chevron
1930 - 1932 Coquette Camera (lipstick & compact)

1939 - 1940 New York World's Fair Baby Brownie
1939 - 1940 New York World's Fair Bullet Camera

1916 - 1927 No. 2C Autographic Kodak Junior
1923 - 1928 No. 2C Autographic Kodak Special w/coupled rangefinder
1905 - 1911 No. 2C Brownie
1924 - 1931 No. 2C Kodak Series III
1926 - 1932 No. 2C Pocket Kodak
1928 - 1933 No. 2C Pocket Kodak Special Camera

1931 - 1933 Rainbow Hawk-eye Vest Pocket
1932 - 1934 Ranca
1932 - 1940 RECOMAR 18 & 33
1946 - 1949 Reflex
1948 - 1954 Reflex II
1935 - 1939 Regent
1939 - 1939 Regent II
1960 - 1963 Retina Automatic I
1960 - 1963 Retina Automatic II
1961 - 1963 Retina Automatic III
1934 - 1937 Retina (Black top plate)
1937 - 1939 Retina I (Chrome top plate)
1939 - 1951 Retina I
1951 - 1954 Retina IA
1954 - 1957 Retina Ib
1937 - 1950 Retina II
1951 - 1954 Retina IIa
1954 - 1957 Retina IIc
1964 - 1967 Retina IIF
1954 - 1958 Retina IIIc
1958 - 1961 Retina IIIC
1959 - 1961 Retina IIIs
1958 - 1959 Retina Reflex
1961 - 1965 Retina Reflex III
1964 - 1968 Retina Reflex IV
1959 - 1961 Retina Reflex S
1967 - 1970 Retina S1 Camera
1952 - 1954 Retinette
1959 - 1967 Retinette 1A 1931 - 1933 Rainbow Hawk-eye Vest Pocket
1932 - 1934 Ranca
1932 - 1940 RECOMAR 18 & 33
1946 - 1949 Reflex
1948 - 1954 Reflex II
1935 - 1939 Regent
1939 - 1939 Regent II
1960 - 1963 Retina Automatic I
1960 - 1963 Retina Automatic II
1961 - 1963 Retina Automatic III
1934 - 1937 Retina (Black top plate)
1937 - 1939 Retina I (Chrome top plate)
1939 - 1951 Retina I
1951 - 1954 Retina IA
1954 - 1957 Retina Ib
1937 - 1950 Retina II
1951 - 1954 Retina IIa
1954 - 1957 Retina IIc
1964 - 1967 Retina IIF
1954 - 1958 Retina IIIc
1958 - 1961 Retina IIIC
1959 - 1961 Retina IIIs
1958 - 1959 Retina Reflex
1961 - 1965 Retina Reflex III
1964 - 1968 Retina Reflex IV
1959 - 1961 Retina Reflex S
1967 - 1970 Retina S1 Camera
1952 - 1954 Retinette
1959 - 1967 Retinette 1A -->

Kodak AG Cameras - Made in Germany
1933 - 1936 Brownie Junior 620
1938 - 1939 Kodak Suprema
c1947 - 1955 Pionier Deko

Kodak Brasileira Cameras - Made in Brazil

Kodak AG Cameras - Made in Germany
1933 - 1936 Brownie Junior 620
1938 - 1939 Kodak Suprema
c1947 - 1955 Pionier Deko


Key events in the history of Eastman Kodak Co.

Kodak postpones an auction of its imaging patent portfolios, though negotiations continue as it looks to sell the patents as it tries to emerge from bankruptcy protection. Here are key events in the history of Eastman Kodak Co.:

1880 — George Eastman begins commercial production of dry plates for photography in a rented loft of a building in Rochester, N.Y.

1888 — The name "Kodak" is born and the Kodak camera is marketed with the slogan, "You press the button, we do the rest."

1889 — The Eastman Co. is formed, taking over the assets of the Eastman Dry Plate and Film Co.

1892 — The company becomes Eastman Kodak Company of New York.

1900 — The first Brownie camera is introduced. Selling for $1 and using film that costs 15 cents a roll, it brings hobby photography within financial reach.

1929 — The company introduces its first motion picture film.

1935 — Kodachrome film is introduced and becomes the first commercially successful amateur color film.

1951 — The low-priced Brownie 8mm movie camera is introduced, followed by Brownie movie projector in 1952.

1962 — The company's U.S. consolidated sales exceed $1 billion for the first time. Its work force tops 75,000.

1963 — Kodak introduces a line of easy-to-use Instamatic cameras with cartridge-loading film (selling more than 50 million by 1970).

1972 — Five pocket-size Instamatic cameras that use smaller cartridges are launched. More than 25 million cameras sell in less than three years.

1975 — Kodak invents the world's first digital camera. The toaster-size prototype captures black-and-white images at a resolution of 10,000 pixels (.01 megapixels).

1981 — Company sales surpass the $10 billion revenue mark. The next year, hometown payroll peaks at 60,400.

1984 — Kodak enters the video market with the Kodavision Series 2000 8mm video system and introduces Kodak videotape cassettes in 8mm, Beta and VHS formats, along with a line of floppy disks for computers.

1988 — Global payroll peaks at 145,300.

1992 — Kodak launches a writeable CD that its first customer, MCI, used for producing telephone bills for corporate accounts.

2003 — Launch of Kodak Easyshare printer dock 6000, which produces durable, borderless 4-by-6-inch prints.

2004 — Kodak begins digital makeover, the same year it gets ejected from the 30-stock Dow Jones industrial average. It cuts tens of thousands of jobs as it closes factories and changes businesses.

2008 — Kodak begins mining its patent portfolio, which generates nearly $2 billion in fees over three years.

2010 — Kodak sues Apple Inc. and Research in Motion Ltd. before the U.S. International Trade Commission, claiming the smartphone makers are infringing its 2001 patent for technology that lets a camera preview low-resolution versions of a moving image while recording still images at higher resolutions. Global employment falls to 18,800.

July 20, 2011 — Kodak begins shopping around its 1,100 digital-imaging patents.

Sept. 27 — Moody's Investors Services downgrades all of its debt ratings for Kodak, citing ongoing weakness in the company's core business operations and the likelihood that flagging demand will hamper results indefinitely.

Oct. 3 — Kodak confirms it has hires Jones Day, a law firm that lists bankruptcies and restructuring among its specialties.

Oct. 16 — Kodak says Imax Co is licensing thousands of patents covering laser projection technology, giving Kodak millions of dollars in revenue. The Kodak patents will allow Imax to provide high-quality digital content for theater screens larger than 80 feet and domed theaters for the first time. Screens that large had previously been limited to film content.

Dec. 19 — Judge extends Apple camera-patent dispute into 2012.

Dec. 22 — Kodak says it has agreed to sell its gelatin business as it looks to boost its dwindling cash reserves. The product is used in photographic and printing processes as well as in food, pharmaceuticals.

Jan. 10, 2012 — Kodak announces plans to realign and simplify its business to cut costs, accelerate its digital transformation and boost its share price. The new structure has two business units — commercial and consumer — instead of three — traditional film and photo paper products consumer digital imaging and graphic communications, which included printing equipment.

Jan. 19 — Kodak files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as it seeks to boost its cash position and stay in business.

Feb. 9 — Kodak says it will stop making digital cameras, pocket video cameras and digital picture frames.

Feb. 15 — Kodak receives court approval to end its sponsorship deal with the Hollywood theater that is the venue for the Academy Awards. Kodak had signed a $74 million deal for naming rights to the theater in 2000. During the Feb. 26 Oscars ceremony, host Billy Crystal jokingly refers to the venue as "the beautiful Chapter 11 Theater."

March 1 — Kodak says it plans to sell its online photo service business to online photo publishing company Shutterfly Inc. for $23.8 million.

April 27 — Kodak says its first-quarter loss widened on a drop in sales and hefty charges related to its reorganization. Revenue fell 27 percent to $965 million, partially as a result of the company's decision to stop selling digital cameras and focus on its other businesses.

April 30 — Kodak lawyers tell a bankruptcy judge that turnover has become a serious problem. The company was granted approval to pay up to $13.5 million in bonuses to persuade key managers to stay on.

May 1 — Audio technology company Dolby Laboratories Inc. gets naming rights to the Oscars venue after Kodak ends a deal early. Bankruptcy judge issues order approving sale of online photo business to Shutterfly.

May 3 — Kodak says Pradeep Jotwani is resigning as the president of consumer business and chief marketing officer. No reason was given.

July 2 — Kodak shuts down Kodak Gallery, North American accounts go to Shutterfly. Judge rules that Kodak can proceed with auctioning some 1,100 digital imaging patents, about 10 percent of the company's portfolio.

Aug. 23 — Kodak says it will sell its document imaging and personalized imaging businesses to better focus on printing and business services. The company says the sale of the units, along with cost-cutting measures and the auction of its patent portfolio, will help it emerge from bankruptcy sometime in 2013. Kodak's document imaging division makes scanners and offers related software and services. The personalized imaging business includes photo paper and still camera film products. It also offers souvenir photo products at theme parks and other venues.

Sept. 10 — Kodak says it is reshuffling executives and cutting thousands of jobs. Kodak says it cut about 2,700 employees worldwide since the beginning of the year and plans to cut about 1,000 more by the end of 2012. The company says annual savings from the cuts should reach about $330 million.

Friday — Kodak postpones indefinitely an auction of its imaging patent portfolios, even as negotiations with potential buyers continue. Kodak also says an alternative option is to keep the patents and create a company to make money by licensing the technology.


Now Streaming

Mr. Tornado

Mr. Tornado is the remarkable story of the man whose groundbreaking work in research and applied science saved thousands of lives and helped Americans prepare for and respond to dangerous weather phenomena.

The Polio Crusade

The story of the polio crusade pays tribute to a time when Americans banded together to conquer a terrible disease. The medical breakthrough saved countless lives and had a pervasive impact on American philanthropy that continues to be felt today.

American Oz

Explore the life and times of L. Frank Baum, creator of the beloved The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.


125 Years Ago Today, George Eastman Patented the Box Camera, Trademarked “Kodak”

Yesterday, Kodak exited bankruptcy, and the world of consumer products, in order to protect what remains of the once megalithic company. It seems a sad coincidence that exactly 125 years ago, George Eastman patented the original box camera, and trademarked the name “Kodak”, starting what was to become one of the powerhouses of the popular camera movement.

On September 4, 1888, George Eastman was granted patent US388,850, for a “camera” — a camera that was to become the foundation of the Kodak empire, and later became known as the Kodak box camera.

The original Kodak box camera marked one of the first popular and easy to use cameras, pushing photography into a hobby that almost anyone could enjoy. Just three years after Eastman had invented the roll film, the Kodak box camera could carry enough film for 100 exposures, and had a fixed focal length. It was the first camera designed specifically for rolls of film, a form factor that would come to dominate the industry.

Not only was the original Kodak camera patented today, but September 4 was also the day that George Eastman trademarked the name Kodak and the tagline “You Press the Button, We Do the Rest”. Kodak was an entirely made up word, which he explained as:

It’s astonishing to think that its been exactly 125 years since one of the most formative photographic powerhouses officially appeared, and while the company might be in tricky financial times now, we can still look back on the incredible things they accomplished before now.


Kodak No. 1

o Kodak was George Eastman's legendary first rollfilm camera bearing the new brand name "Kodak", patented and introduced in 1888. It used Eastman stripping negative film. o Kodak No. 1 of 1889 resembled the Kodak, but featured a more sophisticated shutter. It was available for Eastman stripping negative film or Eastman transparent film.

In use, the shutter was set by pulling a string the camera was sighted by looking along a V-shape on the top of the camera. The shutter was tripped by pressing a button on the camera's side. After exposure, the key was used to wind the film to the next frame. The film moved past a shaft, rotating it, which caused a pointer visible on the top of the camera to rotate, so the photographer could be sure of advancing the correct amount of film. Once one hundred pictures had been taken, the user sent the whole camera back to Kodak for film processing and reloading - at a cost of $10 Ώ] . A hundred round negatives with a diameter of 65mm came from each roll of Eastman American Film. The round image was a design decision, partly as a way of ensuring that the photographer didn't have to hold the camera exactly level with the horizon, and partly to compensate for the poor image quality at the corners of the image. These first Kodak cameras were designed by George Eastman in collaboration with a cabinetmaker, Frank A. Brownell, who set up the production line at Eastman's factory. They are beautifully built, with box joints and strong leather covering.


Action Cameras

While action cameras and quad-rotor helicopters are mostly geared toward shooting video, these two advancements bear mentioning, simply because of how much they’ve advanced people’s ability to capture amazing images.

GoPro HD Hero

A surfer named Nick Woodman wanted a way to capture photos while he was surfing, so he began tinkering with 35mm cameras. Woodman continued to improve on his design, and in 2010, his company, GoPro, released the GoPro HD Hero.

The HD Hero marked the first rugged, waterproof camera able to capture video in 1080p. Since then, the Hero line of cameras has become the standard in the now-widespread market of action cameras.


Philanthropist

Although his company was essentially a monopoly for many years, Eastman was not the average corporate industrialist. He was one of the first American industrialists to embrace and implement the concept of employee profit sharing in the United States, and, in addition, he made an outright gift from his own money to each of his workers. In 1919, he added what is known now as stock options.

His generosity extended beyond his own business, as he gave to the struggling Mechanics Institute of Rochester, which became the Rochester Institute of Technology, as well as M.I.T. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). His high regard for education in general led him to contribute to University of Rochester, and the Hampton and Tuskegee institutes. "The progress of the world depends almost entirely upon education," he said.

Dental clinics both in Rochester and in Europe were also a focus of his concern. "It is a medical fact," he said, "that children can have a better chance in life with better looks, better health and more vigor if the teeth, nose, throat and mouth are taken proper care of at the crucial time of childhood."

In all, it is estimated that Eastman contributed more than $100 million of his wealth for philanthropic purposes during his lifetime.


May 2, 1887: Celluloid-Film Patent Ignites Long Legal Battle

To revist this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories.

To revist this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories.

__1887: __The Rev. Hannibal Goodwin files a patent application for camera film on celluloid rolls. He beats the Eastman Kodak company by two years and sets off a 27-year legal battle.

Goodwin was an Episcopal rector in Newark, New Jersey. He liked projecting lantern-slides of Bible stories to his Sunday school classes and wanted to try making his own. However, he found the intricacies of glass-plate photography too daunting and decided he could invent a better medium for holding the photographic emulsion.

He was a 65-year old clergyman, not a professional chemist, but two years of tinkering in his attic laboratory finally produced a flexible film from nitrocellulose, a trademarked plastic introduced in 1869. Without a clear understanding of the chemistry involved, he filed a vaguely worded patent application.

Meanwhile, George Eastman introduced rolls of photographic film in 1888, but the rolls were made of paper. Developing the negatives was costly, time-consuming and often produced streaked or blurry images. Professional photographers and serious amateur first adopters would have none of it.

Eastman set his chemist Henry Reichenbach to develop a film medium that would be clear, light, flexible, capable of holding the photochemical emulsion, and resistant to folding, shriveling, stretching, wrinkles, blemishes, bubbles and streaks. Quite a task.

Reichenbach wound up developing a formula remarkably similar to Goodwin's, with one additional ingredient: camphor. He filed a tightly worded patent application in April 1889.

Goodwin's application had been languishing with multiple revisions required to get it in proper form and specificity. The Reichenbach patent was approved in December 1889. The new Kodak film went on sale the next year and was an immediate success.

Goodwin, now retired, contested the Eastman-Reichenbach patent. The case wound its way through the labyrinthine administrative patent process until 1898, when Goodwin was finally awarded his patent. Goodwin died on what is considered the last day of the 19th century: Dec. 31, 1900.

His widow sold the Goodwin company to Anthony & Scovill (which became Ansco in 1907). The new company produced a small amount of film based on Goodwin's original patent, and then it sued Eastman Kodak.

The big company's problem was that in order to improve its film and accommodate new manufacturing processes, it had reduced the amount of camphor in its formula until its product was virtually indistinguishable from Rev. Goodwin's original formula. After more than a decade of legal wrangling, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found in favor of Ansco and Goodwin's heirs (.pdf) in 1914.

Goodwin's patent was due to expire the following year, but Eastman Kodak had to pay out more than $5 million ($111 million in today's money, and 5 percent of George Eastman's net worth then) for past infringement and future license. Other film companies ponied up another $300,000.

Except for the substitution of acetate for celluloid, Goodwin's original technology dominated photography for a century before the advent of digital cameras. But he's hardly a household name.


Assista o vídeo: GLOBO REPORTER - OS RECANTOS DE MINAS GERAIS - HD - 2015 (Junho 2022).


Comentários:

  1. Xola

    É uma pena que não posso falar agora - não há tempo livre. Mas vou voltar - com certeza vou escrever o que penso.



Escreve uma mensagem