Em formação

Lansing DE-388 - História

Lansing DE-388 - História


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Lansing
(DE-388): dp. 1.200; 1. 30G '; b. 36'7 ", dr. 8'7"; s. 21 k .; cpl. 186; uma. 3 3 ", ff 40 mm, 10 20 mm, 9 dcp., 2 dct .; 3 21
tt .; cl. Edsall)

Lansing (DE-388) foi estabelecido em 15 de maio de 1943 pela Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Texas, lançado em 2 de agosto de 1943, patrocinado pela Sra. Alberta L. Lansnig, viúva de William H. Lansing; e comissionado em 10 de novembro de 1943, Tenente Comdr. S. R .. Sands no comando.

Após o shakedown, Lansing partiu de Norfolk em 13 de fevereiro de 1944 em seu primeiro cruzeiro transatlântico escoltando o comboio UJGS 33 com destino a Casablanca, a primeira de oito viagens a portos do norte da África protegendo comboios carregados com material de guerra vital. Durante o segundo cruzeiro de Lansing, um navio de comboio a. s. Walden foi danificado por um torpedo disparado de um submarino alemão em 12 de maio.

Chegando a Boston em 12 de junho de 1945 de sua última missão tranatlântica, a escolta de destróieres preparou-se para o serviço no Pacífico. Ela transitou pelo Canal do Panamá em 2 de agosto e estava a caminho de Pearl Harbor quando recebeu a notícia da rendição japonesa. Lansing voltou a Nova York em 26 de setembro e descomissionou em Green Cove Springs em 25 de abril de 1946, juntando-se à Frota da Reserva do Atlântico.

Ela foi transferida para a Guarda Costeira em junho de 1952. Após seu retorno à Marinha em 1954, Lansing foi convertido em um navio de escolta de radar e reclassificado DER-388 em 21 de outubro de 1955. Ela foi readmitida em 18 de dezembro de 1956, Tenente GN DeBuer no comando .

Lansing ingressou na Barreira do Pacífico em 2 de junho de 1957 para operações fora de Pearl Harbor como um piquete de radar. De 1957 a 1965, ela fez patrulhas regulares, pronta para fornecer um alerta precoce em caso de um ataque inimigo. Lansing participou dos testes atômicos em Johnston Island no verão de 1958 e novamente no outono de 1962. Ela navegou em cruzeiros no Extremo Oriente durante 1961 e 1963 e se engajou em operações de busca para um Globemaster da Força Aérea abatido em janeiro de 1964.

Chegando a Bremerton, Washington, em 22 de fevereiro de 1965, Lansing descomissionou lá em 21 de maio e entrou na Frota da Reserva do Pacífico.


USS Lansing (DE 388)

Desativado em 25 de abril de 1946.
Emprestado à Guarda Costeira dos Estados Unidos e (re) encomendado por eles como WDE-488 em 15 de junho de 1952.
Retornado aos EUA e desativado em 29 de março de 1954.
Reclassificado como DER-388 em 21 de outubro de 1955.
Recomissionado em 18 de dezembro de 1956.
Desativado em 21 de maio de 1965.
Stricken 1 de fevereiro de 1974.
Vendido em 16 de agosto de 1974 e dividido para sucata.

Comandos listados para USS Lansing (DE 388)

Observe que ainda estamos trabalhando nesta seção.

ComandanteA partir dePara
1Lcmdr Simon Raymond Sands, Jr., USCG10 de novembro de 19435 de junho de 1944
2Lcmdr Richard Foster Rea, USCG5 de junho de 194425 de junho de 1945
3Stephen George Carkeek, Jr., USCG25 de junho de 194525 de abril de 1946

Você pode ajudar a melhorar nossa seção de comandos
Clique aqui para enviar eventos / comentários / atualizações para esta embarcação.
Use-o se você detectar erros ou quiser melhorar a página de navios.

Links de mídia


Lansing DE-388 - História

Horace Jackson, que começou como soldador e mais tarde se tornou vice-presidente da Thompson Pipe and Steel Company, Denver, diz: & quotEncontrar soldadores e treinar soldadores durante a guerra foi um dos nossos maiores desafios na construção de navios. & Quot Porque a técnica era muito nova , soldadores experientes eram difíceis de encontrar, então os estaleiros tinham que treinar seus próprios e & cotas assim que treinássemos alguns bons soldadores, as forças armadas os pegariam depois de cerca de seis meses e o treinamento recomeçaria com novos recrutas. & quot Anual a rotatividade de funcionários em alguns pátios ficou acima de 200%.

Na soldagem a arco, um trabalhador primeiro deve criar uma corrente entre um eletrodo e as placas a serem unidas. Isso é chamado de "abrir um arco". O soldador deve manter a tocha em movimento, criando a solda é como apertar um tubo de calafetagem. Pegar o jeito da soldagem é difícil e, mesmo com muito treinamento, novos problemas surgiam diariamente.

As rachaduras eram um problema constante. Uma rachadura não pode saltar através de um rebite de uma placa para outra, mas se uma rachadura aparecer em uma configuração soldada, ela pode ir a qualquer lugar porque o navio está inteiro. Em 1942, rachaduras em navios mercantes soldados e alguns navios de guerra pareciam ser um grande problema. A culpa foi em todas as direções e as inspeções e o treinamento do estaleiro foram aprimorados. Só mais tarde a Marinha percebeu que a principal causa do problema de rachaduras era o próprio aço, então as ligas foram trocadas.

A Marinha exigiu análise de raios-X e inspeção microscópica de todas as juntas soldadas dos tubos de vapor para encontrar rachaduras, mas não havia nenhum equipamento de raios-X em algumas localidades, incluindo a região dos Grandes Lagos. "Em uma cópia antiga da Welding Encyclopedia de Ted Jefferson, encontramos a descrição de uma possível solução para o problema", lembra Blodgett. “Chamava-se Teste de Whiting. Uma solda de teste com uma rachadura capilar intencional tornou-se a peça de trabalho. Em seguida, aplicamos óleo penetrante 3 em 1 na solda. Adicionar giz de carpinteiro em pó misturado com tetracloreto de carbono (pireno) de nosso extintor de incêndio criou uma solução volátil que secou rapidamente. Em alguns momentos, uma linha fina e descolorida apareceu no giz, indicando a rachadura abaixo. ”A Marinha comprou a ideia.

Depois disso, todas as inspeções da tubulação de vapor de alta pressão seguiram o procedimento. Mesmo assim, as vantagens da soldagem eram enormes. Às vezes, vários guindastes, cada um capaz de levantar dez toneladas, eram usados ​​em conjunto para içar superestruturas, equipamentos e armas fabricados no convés para dentro e para dentro das cavernosas aberturas do casco, para serem soldados. À medida que os trabalhadores aprendiam seus empregos, os tempos de construção diminuíram; a primeira DE levou seis meses, mas logo eles estavam sendo construídos em questão de semanas. A competição entre jardas e prêmios em dinheiro alimentou o aumento na eficiência.

Em uma demonstração incomum de engenhosidade, Defoe Shipbuilding em Bay City, MI, decidiu tentar construir navios de cabeça para baixo, do convés até a quilha. Bill Defoe, filho do fundador, diz: & quotComo era mais fácil e rápido soldar, economizamos muitas horas de trabalho e nosso acabamento melhorou muito. O processo eliminou virtualmente 90% de toda a soldagem aérea. & Quot

Como plataforma para a construção, um berço teve que ser idealizado para coincidir com o formato exato do convés principal do navio. Assim que o convés foi colocado, as estruturas e anteparas afixadas a ele apareceram com a parte inferior voltada para cima. A seção completa do fundo da embarcação, incluindo quilha, pisos e de quatro a seis strakes (chapas de suporte de aço planas) de chapeamento, foi colocada em posição no topo das estruturas e anteparas. O revestimento de casca restante adicionou forma e forma ao casco. Com a embarcação de cabeça para baixo, todo o maquinário que normalmente fica pendurado na parte de baixo do convés foi facilmente posicionado.

A sequência de montagem do aço do casco também possibilitou a eliminação da maior parte dos andaimes convencionais da construção naval. Na conclusão da seção do casco, duas rodas de aço semicirculares foram presas em torno do casco e o berço foi retirado do caminho, deixando o casco totalmente sustentado por elas. Cabos lançados ao redor da embarcação em direções opostas permitiam que um guindaste a vapor, puxando um cabo e segurando o outro, rolasse o casco até a posição vertical. Todo o processo não demorou mais do que dois minutos e meio. Uma vez que o casco ficasse na posição vertical, os guindastes então colocariam maquinários adicionais no local e instalariam as cabines pré-fabricadas.

A maioria dos estaleiros, entretanto, construiu seus DEs da maneira convencional, da quilha para cima. Uma visita a qualquer pátio apresentaria uma imagem semelhante: emaranhados de cabos elétricos, linhas de ar comprimido, mangueiras de oxigênio e acetileno, cordas, cordames, guindastes enormes e andaimes. Em meio a uma cacofonia de metal retinindo, martelos estilhaçando e gemidos de guindastes gigantes, os trabalhadores cumpriam suas tarefas 24 horas por dia, sete dias por semana, iluminados por chuvas de faíscas azuis que enxameavam como vaga-lumes ao redor dos soldadores.

Comparado com a solução de todos os problemas de soldagem, lançar os navios e entregá-los aos portos navais era quase trivial. Normalmente, os navios são lançados diretamente no porto, mas os DEs construídos nos pátios do interior da região dos Grandes Lagos foram lançados nos lagos e depois rebocados para Chicago. Às vezes, havia tão pouco espaço nos estaleiros que eles tinham que ser lançados de lado. Em um caso, um navio foi lançado sem seus motores instalados. Pesada demais, ela quase rolou e o erro nunca se repetiu. Em Chicago, os mastros e hélices dos navios eram arrumados no convés e equipados com pontões especiais para reduzir o calado. Eles foram então transportados por canais e rios para o Mississippi e para o Golfo do México. Surpreendentemente, tudo funcionou.

Os estaleiros da Costa Leste também adicionaram seus músculos ao programa DE. Perto do final da produção, o estaleiro da Bethlehem Steel em Hingham, Massachusetts, conseguiu entregar um DE em apenas 25 dias. Em contraste, o tempo de construção de um contratorpedeiro antes da guerra era de oito a dez meses. A competição entre os estaleiros aumentou à medida que novos recordes foram feitos e quebrados. As reivindicações de Hingham para a fama incluem o lançamento de um DE em quatro dias e meio, “um recorde mundial para a construção de um grande navio de guerra”, entregando dez DEs em um mês e colocando 16 quilhas em um dia. A segurança geral e a eficiência desses navios garantiram o futuro da soldagem. O grande número de navios idênticos permitiu economias de escala no fornecimento de gabaritos de montagem, a adoção de procedimentos repetíveis e planejamento de fornecimento de material.

Veja as fotos da construção DE

As escoltas de destróieres finalmente mergulharam, cambalearam e rolaram para a Batalha do Atlântico no outono de 1943, cada uma com cerca de 300 pés de comprimento e 35 pés de largura, capazes de uma velocidade máxima de 20-24 nós e transportando 216 oficiais e homens apertados, trimestres sensatos. Mesmo que os submarinos já tivessem passado do zênite de seu poder destrutivo, eles ainda representavam uma ameaça significativa. Os DEs rapidamente acumularam recordes impressionantes em termos de navios aliados protegidos e submarinos alemães afundados. Eles também ganharam grande parte da glória na captura do U-505 em 4 de junho de 1944, a primeira tomada de um navio inimigo pela Marinha dos Estados Unidos desde a Guerra de 1812.

O DE foi construído em menos da metade do tempo de um contratorpedeiro e com um terço do custo. Ela fez parte de um esforço massivo no qual o número de formas de navios subiu de 130 para 567 em quase 80 estaleiros comerciais. As batalhas da Segunda Guerra Mundial foram vencidas tanto na linha de montagem quanto na linha de fogo.

À medida que a Batalha do Atlântico diminuía, os DEs fizeram mais história no Pacífico como transportes, plataformas de guerra anti-submarino, navios de piquete de radar e telas para ataques kamikaze. USS INGLATERRA (DE-635) destruiu seis submarinos em 12 dias durante maio de 1944. Os EUA produziram 563 DEs entre 1942 e 1945. Destes, 561 viram serviço antes do fim da guerra.

Os navios perderam sua utilidade logo após a guerra, quando uma nova geração de submarinos velozes apareceu que poderia ultrapassá-los. Suas fileiras foram gradualmente reduzidas com a venda a governos estrangeiros, usadas como bucha de canhão em testes de armas ou simplesmente viagens para a pilha de sucata, onde pedaços e pedaços eram derretidos em sopa de aço para uso em outro lugar.

Hoje, apenas dois permanecem [nos EUA]: SLATER (DE-766), atualmente passando por uma restauração meticulosa como um museu flutuante em Albany, NY, e STEWART
(DE-238), sem litoral e em deterioração no Seawolf Park em Galveston, TX. Mas seu legado e dos homens e mulheres que os construíram, vive. Os pequenos navios que podiam, sim.

John R. Ward é escritor e consultor em Albuquerque, NM.

Nota: As perdas na guerra chegaram a 22 e outras 12 foram gravemente danificadas. Os DEs foram fundamentais no afundamento de 64 submarinos, bem como de 30 submarinos japoneses.

Artigo submetido ao site por Anne McCarthy.

Para a história de um navio individual, visite estes sites:
Destroyer Escort Library e NavSource Online


Grande História de Lansing

Ao longo de sua história, a capital de Michigan hospedou uma população diversificada de inovadores com visão de futuro.

A área que agora é Lansing foi originalmente pesquisada em 1825 no que era então uma floresta densa. Não haveria estradas para essa área nas próximas décadas.

Origens de Lansing e aposs

No inverno de 1835 e no início de 1836, dois irmãos de Nova York plotaram a área agora conhecida como REO Town ao sul do centro de Lansing e a chamaram de & quotBiddle City. ano. Apesar disso, os irmãos voltaram para Nova York, especificamente Lansing, Nova York, para vender terrenos para a cidade que não existia. Eles disseram aos residentes de Lansing, Nova York, que esta nova "cidade" tinha uma área de 65 quarteirões, continha uma igreja e também uma praça pública e acadêmica. Um grupo de 16 homens comprou terrenos na cidade inexistente e, ao chegar à área no final daquele ano, descobriu que haviam sido enganados. Muitos no grupo desapontados demais para ficar, acabaram se estabelecendo em torno do que agora é a metropolitana Lansing. Aqueles que ficaram rapidamente renomearam a área para & quotLansing Township & quot em homenagem a sua vila natal em Nova York.

O pacato assentamento de menos de 20 pessoas permaneceria adormecido até o inverno de 1847, quando a constituição do estado exigia que a capital fosse transferida de Detroit para um local mais centralizado e seguro no interior do estado. Muitos estavam preocupados com a proximidade de Detroit com o Canadá controlado pelos britânicos, que havia capturado Detroit na Guerra de 1812. Os Estados Unidos recapturaram a cidade em 1813, mas esses eventos levaram à extrema necessidade de realocar o centro do governo para longe de Território britânico hostil. Além disso, também havia a preocupação com a forte influência de Detroit na política de Michigan, sendo a maior cidade do estado e também a capital.

Tornando-se a capital

Durante a sessão de vários dias para determinar um novo local para a capital do estado, muitas cidades, incluindo Ann Arbor, Marshall e Jackson, fizeram lobby duro para ganhar esta designação. Incapaz de chegar publicamente a um consenso devido às constantes disputas políticas, a Câmara dos Representantes de Michigan escolheu privadamente o município de Lansing devido à frustração. Quando anunciado, muitos presentes riram abertamente que um assentamento tão insignificante era agora a capital de Michigan. Dois meses depois, o governador William L. Greenly sancionou a lei da legislatura, tornando oficialmente Lansing Township a capital do estado.

Com o anúncio de que Lansing Township havia se tornado capital, a pequena vila rapidamente se transformou na sede do governo estadual. A legislatura deu ao assentamento o nome temporário de & quotTown of Michigan. & Quot Em abril de 1848, o legislativo deu ao assentamento o nome de & quotLansing. & Quot Meses depois de se tornar a capital, assentamentos individuais começaram a se desenvolver ao longo de três pontos principais ao longo o Grand River no município.

& quotLower Village / Town & quot, onde se encontra a atual cidade velha, era a mais antiga das três vilas. Foi o lar da primeira casa construída em Lansing em 1843 pelo pioneiro James Seymour e sua família. Lower Town começou a se desenvolver em 1847 com a conclusão da ponte coberta da Franklin Avenue (agora Grand River Avenue) sobre o Grand River. *

& quotUpper Village / Town, & quot, onde se encontra a atual REO Town, estava na confluência do Grand River e do Red Cedar River. Ele começou a decolar em 1847, quando a Main Street Bridge foi construída sobre o Grand River. O ponto focal desta vila foi o Benton House, um hotel de 4 andares inaugurado em 1848. Foi o primeiro edifício de tijolos em Lansing e foi posteriormente demolido em 1900.

& quotMiddle Village / Town, & quot onde agora se encontra o centro de Lansing, foi a última das três vilas a se desenvolver em 1848 com a conclusão da ponte da Michigan Avenue sobre o Grand River e a conclusão do edifício temporário do Capitólio do Estado. O primeiro Capitol ficava onde a Cooley Law School fica hoje na Avenida Capitol, entre as ruas Allegan e Washtenaw. Os correios foram transferidos para a aldeia em 1851. Esta área iria crescer e se tornar maior do que as outras duas aldeias rio acima e rio abaixo. Por um breve período, as aldeias combinadas foram chamadas de & quotMichigan & quot, mas foram oficialmente chamadas de Lansing em 1848.

Em 1859, o assentamento, tendo crescido para quase 3.000 e abrangendo cerca de sete milhas quadradas (18 km & # xB2) de área, foi incorporado como uma cidade. Os limites da cidade original eram Douglas Avenue ao norte, Wood e Regent Streets ao leste, Mount Hope Avenue ao sul e Jenison Avenue ao oeste. Esses limites permaneceriam inalterados até 1916. Lansing começou a crescer de forma constante nas duas décadas seguintes, com a conclusão das ferrovias da cidade, uma estrada de tábuas e a conclusão do atual Capitólio do Estado em 1878.

Auto Heritage

Muito do que hoje é conhecido como Lansing é o resultado direto da cidade se tornar uma potência industrial, que começou com a fundação da Olds Motor Vehicle Company em agosto de 1897. A empresa passou por muitas mudanças, incluindo uma compra, entre sua fundação e 1905 quando o fundador Ransom E. Olds iniciou sua REO Motor Car Company, que duraria em Lansing por mais 70 anos. Olds seria acompanhado pelo Clarkmobile, de menor sucesso, por volta de 1903. Nas décadas seguintes, a cidade se veria transformada em um grande centro industrial americano de fabricação de automóveis e peças automotivas, entre outras indústrias. A cidade continuou a crescer em área. Em 1956, a cidade havia crescido para 15 milhas quadradas (39 km & # xB2) e dobrou de tamanho na próxima década para seu tamanho atual de aproximadamente 33 milhas quadradas (85 km & # xB2).

Hoje, a economia da cidade está diversificada entre serviços governamentais, saúde, manufatura, seguros, bancos e educação.


John Biringer, Gunmaker

À medida que os pioneiros entravam no Território do Kansas, houve uma necessidade imediata de armas de fogo e armeiros. Eles precisavam de armas de fogo confiáveis ​​não apenas para caçar, mas também para sua proteção. Durante os anos de Bleeding Kansas, a atmosfera nas ruas de Leavenworth era tensa e a violência explodiria facilmente, pois diferentes pontos de vista iriam se chocar sobre a questão do Kansas como um Estado Livre.

John Biringer foi um dos primeiros pioneiros que trouxe seu ofício e ofício de fabricação de armas de fogo para Leavenworth, um ofício que ele repassaria aos filhos. Ele fazia parte do & # 8216Free Staters & # 8221 que veio para Leavenworth em barcos a vapor e vagões de Iowa, Illinois, Indiana e Western Ohio, de acordo com H. Miles Moore, Early History of Leavenworth City and County.

John Biringer nasceu na Prússia em 1830 e imigrou para os Estados Unidos em 1847 depois de concluir um aprendizado na fabricação de armas, de acordo com o Censo dos EUA. Ele chegou na Filadélfia, Pa, onde foi trabalhar para George Tryon e seu filho Edward. É aqui que ele aprende a fazer o rifle da Pensilvânia, que era um rifle longo caracterizado por um cano invulgarmente longo, de acordo com Henry J. Kauffman, The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle. Naquela época, um aprendiz às vezes trabalhava por crédito e não por dinheiro. “Quando vim para o Oeste, trouxe cerca de 300 armas comigo e com elas comecei um negócio em Leavenworth”, disse Biringer em uma entrevista de jornal para o Leavenworth Times.

Biringer se casaria com Fredricka Messig, nascido na Alemanha, em 1854, de acordo com a Sociedade Histórica do Kansas, Cool Things - Gunsmithing Tools. Seus dois primeiros filhos nasceram na Pensilvânia, George em 1856 e Josephine em 1858. Ele lê nos jornais da época sobre as oportunidades que havia no Ocidente. Um artigo específico falava de Leavenworth e de como os soldados em Fort Leavenworth estavam sendo equipados para ir a Utah e resolver o problema em Utah, de acordo com o Leavenworth Times. Em quatro anos, eles se mudam para Leavenworth, que ainda faz parte do Território do Kansas, onde Biringer abre sua própria loja de armeiros. No U.S. City Directory de 1862, ele está localizado em 109 Shawnee, que seriam 109 lotes do rio no antigo sistema de numeração. O meio do quarteirão no lado sul entre a Quarta e a Quinta Ruas seria o local de hoje. Ele era um dos quatro armeiros de acordo com o diretório.

Em 1877, John Biringer se sentaria diante da câmera de A.C. Nichols e faria seu ambroytype junto com seu filho George, que estava comemorando 21 anos.

George Biringer, 21 anos, foto de A.C. Nichols

George aprendeu o ofício de armeiro desde cedo com seu pai, que naquela época operava no 601 Shawnee. No Leavenworth City Directory de 1874, George é listado como um armeiro trabalhando para J. Biringer, Gun and Locksmith. Ele tinha 17 anos.

Nem tudo era trabalho e nem diversão enquanto George crescia, ele era o mais velho de 12 na família Biringer e, como tal, tinha mais liberdade.

Em uma noite de verão em agosto de 1878, enquanto estavam na cidade com seus amigos Louis Fieger, George Opel e Julius Miller, todos empregados remuneradamente como fabricantes de charutos na Simmons e Staiger, eles fizeram suas rondas pelo centro de Leavenworth fazendo uma serenata na residência do segundo andar ao longo do caminho às 2:30 da manhã. Um desses estabelecimentos ainda estava aberto e funcionando nas primeiras horas da manhã, The Leavenworth Times. Segundo o editor, o escritório do Times foi cercado por esses cavalheiros que faziam uma turnê de serenatas. Os instrumentos consistiam em violino, flautim, violão e gaita, e “os ares melodiosos por eles prestados ajudavam a encerrar os labores da semana de maneira tão agradável quanto um belo sonho”, The Times, 8 de agosto de 1878.

No início da década de 1880 e # 8217, Biringer casou-se com Louise Goenner de Leavenworth. Seu pai era William Goenner, um fabricante de charutos na Simmons and Staiger, um lugar muito familiar para Biringer.

Seu primeiro filho, William P. nasceu em 1883 e o segundo, George W., em 1888 e nenhum dos dois aprenderia o ofício de armeiro.

Em 12 de junho de 1897, a residência do coronel Andrew Jackson Smith, governador do ramo ocidental do lar dos soldados, foi dinamitada em uma tentativa de assassinato contra a vida do governador Smith & # 8217, de acordo com o The Times. A quantidade de explosivos usados ​​foi grande, pois foi relatado que os moradores da cidade estavam com suas casas tremendo com o choque, como se a terra estivesse se movendo abaixo deles. A força total da explosão destruiu um lado da casa. Felizmente ninguém morreu, mas a Sra. Smith sofreu alguns ferimentos.

Os explosivos usados ​​na explosão vieram da loja de armas John Biringer & # 8217s, de acordo com o The Times. Várias noites antes da explosão, o paiol de pólvora Biringers foi roubado e acreditava-se que o ladrão foi o responsável pela explosão.


Fóruns NavWeaps

1864 - O navio a vapor de roda lateral confederado, de 178 toneladas, Benigo, um corredor de bloqueio, encalhou na costa da Carolina do Norte, a oeste de Lockwood Folly Inlet. Sua tripulação ateou fogo nela e a abandonou. O navio a vapor USS Fahkee a descobriu encalhado, parcialmente queimado e com 2,1 metros de água no porão no dia seguinte. Ela foi destruída por tiros de Fahkee, do navio a vapor de roda lateral USS Fort Jackson e dos navios de parafuso USS Daylight, USS Iron Age e USS Montgomery.

1865 - A escuna britânica Celia, uma corredora de bloqueio carregando uma carga de terebintina, foi bombardeada e abordada por um grupo de desembarque da canhoneira USS Nipsic e queimada na enseada de Murrell, na costa da Carolina do Sul.

1944 - "Hornick, Iowa, 2 de janeiro (AP) - Nove tripulantes de uma Fortaleza Voadora com base em Sioux City morreram quando o avião caiu e queimou em uma fazenda perto daqui na noite de hoje. Pessoas em um raio de vários quilômetros disseram eles viram o avião explodir e cair. " B-17F-40-VE, 42-6013, do 393d CCTS, pilotado por Frank R. Hilford, parece ser a fuselagem envolvida.

1944 - "Sacramento, Califórnia, 2 de janeiro (AP) - Treze aviadores do exército foram mortos hoje quando um B-17 Flying Fortress, partindo de McChord Field, Tacoma, Wash. Para Los Angeles, explodiu em voo sobre o campo McClellan e despencou A 3000 pés de altura em chamas. Milhares de Sacramentans, assustados por uma explosão terrível, olharam para o céu e viram o bombardeiro de quatro motores aleijado e em chamas emergir do céu nublado e cair. Apenas um membro da tripulação do avião de 14 escapou das chamas destroços, caindo de paraquedas em segurança antes do acidente. Ele era o Maj. James H. Wergen de Kingman Field, Arizona, a base do bombardeiro. O avião se despedaçou no ar ao cair, espalhando a ponta de uma asa, um de seus motores e outras partes em uma vasta área. As autoridades do Campo de McClellan disseram que os oficiais médicos estavam tentando identificar os mortos, mas que os nomes seriam omitidos até a notificação dos parentes. " O B-17G foi pilotado por Frederick M. Klopfenstein.

1948 - Um Mustang P-51D-25-NT norte-americano, 45-11535 cai a 40 milhas ao N de Roswell, Novo México, pouco depois do meio-dia desta data, matando o piloto. O major Charles Beck, oficial de informação pública do Roswell Army Airfield, disse que a base do avião não foi determinada.

1964 - A Força Aérea dos EUA Douglas C-124C Globemaster II, 52-968, do 28º Esquadrão de Transporte Aéreo, a caminho da Base da Força Aérea de Tachikawa perto de Tóquio, Japão, para a Base da Força Aérea de Hickam, Honolulu, Havaí com nove a bordo e 11 toneladas de carga desaparecem no Oceano Pacífico após fazer uma parada para abastecimento de combustível na Ilha Wake. O prazo é Hickam às 0539 horas. EST, o Globemaster II é ouvido pela última vez às 0159 horas. HUSA. A exaustão do combustível teria sido às 1000 horas. EST e a aeronave presume-se que esteja no mar. Um sinal SOS automático é detectado emanando de um rádio do tipo aeronave com uma frequência portadora constante de 4728 kHz, emitindo uma mensagem de socorro automaticamente digitada, e uma dúzia de aeronaves da Força Aérea, Marinha e Guarda Costeira são enviadas para busca de Hickam e de Guam, Midway e Johnston Island.
O mau tempo e a visibilidade limitada dificultam os esforços de busca. O USS Lansing (DE-388) da Marinha dos EUA também participa da pesquisa. Os oito tripulantes da Força Aérea desaparecidos e um homem da Marinha dos EUA escoltando um corpo de volta aos EUA são oficialmente declarados mortos em 21 de janeiro. Este foi o primeiro acidente com o C-124 desde maio de 1962.

1968 - o coronel Henry Brown e o tenente-coronel Joe B. Jordan se tornaram os primeiros pilotos da Força Aérea dos Estados Unidos a usar o módulo de fuga de emergência do General Dynamics F-111A quando sua aeronave, 65-5701, c / n A1-19, do Centro de Testes da Força Aérea, caiu perto da Base da Força Aérea de Edwards, Califórnia, devido a um incêndio no compartimento de armas.

1975 - US Navy Grumman F-14A-70-GR Tomcat, BuNo 158982, 'NK107', de VF-1, o primeiro esquadrão F-14 da Frota do Pacífico a se formar, desdobrado a bordo do USS Enterprise (CVN-65), cai no mar ao largo de Cubi Point, Filipinas, após uma explosão de motor a bordo. Ambos os membros da tripulação ejetam com sucesso. Esta é uma das duas perdas de esquadrão durante a implantação de 1974-75 que sinalizou os problemas de contenção das pás do ventilador que afetaram as primeiras versões do motor turbofan TF30.

1976 - USMC McDonnell-Douglas F-4J Phantom II, BuNo 155506, de VMFA-333, cai ao se aproximar de NAS Oceana, Virgínia. Ambas as tripulações ejetam com segurança.

1986 - Um McDonnell Douglas F-15C-28-MC Eagle (s / n 80-0037 c / n 0692 / C186) do 57º FIS com base em NAS Keflavik, Islândia, colidiu com o norte do Oceano Atlântico, na costa sudeste da Islândia . O piloto, Capitão Steve Nelson, morreu quando sua aeronave atingiu a água em alta velocidade após falhar em completar uma manobra "split-S" com segurança durante uma surtida de treinamento de redução de altitude (LASDT). O instrutor havia planejado a manobra com base em sua própria experiência anterior no treinamento de alunos da escola de armas na Nellis AFB em F-15As comparativamente leves, no entanto, o F-15C, com tanques de combustível conformados quase cheios, era muito mais pesado e não conseguia completar fisicamente a divisão -S apesar de iniciar a manobra aos 10.000 '. A aeronave nunca foi recuperada.

2004 - OH-58D Kiowa 90-0370 da Brigada de Aviação 1-82, Regimento de Cavalaria 1-17 abatido perto de Fallujah, matando um piloto.

03 de janeiro de 2019 # 1322 2019-01-03T02: 24

1943 - Boeing B-17F-27-BO Flying Fortress, 41-24620, c / n 3305, "snap! Crackle! Pop!", 'PU-O', do 360º Esquadrão de Bombardeios, 303º Grupo de Bombardeiros, à luz do dia invasão em Saint-Nazaire, França, perde asas devido a ataques antiaéreos, entra em espiral. O artilheiro da torre de bolas Alan Eugene Magee (13 de janeiro de 1919 - 20 de dezembro de 2003), apesar de sofrer 27 ferimentos por estilhaços, foge (ou é arremessado dos destroços) sem sua rampa em

20.000 pés (6.100 m), perde a consciência devido à altitude, a queda livre cai através do telhado de vidro da Gare de Saint-Nazaire e é encontrado vivo, mas com ferimentos graves no chão do depósito. Ele é salvo por cuidados médicos alemães, passa o resto da guerra no campo de prisioneiros. Em 3 de janeiro de 1993, o povo de St. Nazaire homenageou Magee e a tripulação de seu bombardeiro erguendo um memorial de 1,8 m de altura para eles.

1944 - CDR. Frank A. Erickson, Guarda Costeira dos EUA, recebe uma recomendação oficial depois de pilotar um helicóptero Sikorsky HNS-1 com duas caixas de plasma sanguíneo amarradas a seus flutuadores de Nova York a Sandy Hook, Nova Jersey, para tratamento de tripulantes da Marinha dos EUA de USS Turner, que explodiu, incendiou e afundou no porto de Nova York, nesta data. Nesse feito heróico, em ventos violentos e neve que aterrissaram todas as outras aeronaves, Erickson se tornou o primeiro piloto do mundo a pilotar um helicóptero nessas condições, além de fazer o primeiro "vôo salvador" já realizado por um "helicóptero". Sem o plasma, muitos dos sobreviventes gravemente feridos do Turner teriam morrido.

1944 - A queda do Cessna AT-17B Bobcat, 42-38897, c / n 3106, do 986º SEFTS, Douglas Army Airfield, Arizona, mata os cadetes da aviação Loris Gale, 20, de Walla Walla, Washington, e James C. Gallagher , 20, de Lima, Ohio. O treinador bimotor desceu cinco quilômetros ao S da Estação Ranger de Cochise, no Arizona, disse o oficial de relações públicas de Douglas Field.

1954 - Um Comando Curtiss C-46 da Força Aérea dos Estados Unidos que tenta um pouso forçado no sul do Japão atinge árvores, matando todos os quatro tripulantes.

1954 - Um invasor Douglas B-26C cai e explode em montanhas densamente arborizadas a 9 milhas a NE de Carrizozo, Novo México, após dois tripulantes serem resgatados no domingo à noite. O coronel Frank E. Sharp, comandante da Base Aérea Holloman, Novo México, afirma que os homens foram encontrados na segunda-feira "em boas condições físicas". Eles receberam apenas hematomas e arranhões menores, apesar de pularem na escuridão total sobre a cordilheira acidentada do Sacramento. Eles foram identificados como Capitão Frederick M. Werth, Bristol, Virginia e S / Sgt. Willie E. Woods, de Sunflower, Mississippi. B-26C-35-DT Invader, 44-35429, é cancelado.

1966 - Terceiro (de cinco) Ling-Temco-Vought XC-142As, 62-5923, sofre grandes danos no trem de pouso e na fuselagem durante o pouso no 14º vôo Cat II na Base Aérea de Edwards, Califórnia, tendo registrado apenas 14:12 horas. Tempo de voo do Cat II. A Força Aérea decide usar a asa desta fuselagem para reparar o XC-142A No. 2, 62–5922, que sofre grandes danos em 19 de outubro de 1965, outros itens úteis são recuperados da fuselagem no. 3, e a fuselagem canibalizada é sucateada no verão de 1966.

1989 - A Guarda Aérea Nacional do Oregon McDonnell-Douglas F-4C Phantom II, 63-7626 (?), Do 123º FIS / Oregon ANG de Portland, Oregon, cai em uma missão de treinamento

A 30 milhas da Baía de Tillamook, ferindo ambos os tripulantes, que foram retirados do Oceano Pacífico, disseram as autoridades.

2006 - Um helicóptero UH-60 Black Hawk do Exército dos Estados Unidos Sikorsky cai perto de Tal Afar, Ninawa Governorate, Iraque. The aircraft, part of a two-Black Hawk helicopter team, was travelling between military bases when the accident occurred, resulting in 12 fatalities.

Jan 04, 2019 #1323 2019-01-04T02:16

1865 - Knickerbocker was a Union side-wheel steamer of 858 tons, built in 1843 at New York City. She was wrecked in a storm off the Southern coast of Long Island, NY., near Mastic Beach in about 9 feet of water. Several Confederate attacks resulted in the burning of the ship on February 15th, 1865.

1865 - While trying to run the Union blockade and enter Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, the 529-gross ton British screw steamer Rattlesnake was forced aground on the coast of South Carolina just east of Breach Inlet by armed schooner USS Potomska and gunboat USS Wamsutta. She was burned and abandoned.

1866 – Tug USS Narcissus ran aground 1-1/2 miles west of Egmont Key off Tampa Bay, FL., during one of the severe winter storms during a cold front moving through the area. When the cold seawater came in contact with the hot steam boiler, she exploded, killing the entire crew of 29. Federal troops from nearby Egmont Key salvaged the ship's guns, but no signs of survivors were ever found.

1944 - Boeing B-17G-10-BO Flying Fortress, 42-31257, flying in formation with other B-17s, catches fire near Alamo, Nevada, while en route between Indian Springs Army Airfield and Las Vegas Army Airfield, Nevada, and twelve of thirteen aboard bail out. One is killed when his chute fails to open in time, and one aboard the bomber dies in the crash 67 miles NNE of Las Vegas AAF. Other planes circled the spot where the plane went down and radioed the base news of the crash. "Eleven of their number were brought to the airfield hospital last night (5 January), suffering from minor injuries and exposure after having spent the intervening time in heavy snow on a high mountain plateau."

1949 - Douglas VC-47D Skytrain. 43-48405, c/n 25666/14221, crashes and burns in a night accident, coming down in mountainous terrain about eight miles NE of Colfax, California. The Placer County coroner said there are seven fatalities. The flight was believed to be between Reno and McClellan Air Force Base, California. The crash site is near the American River and highway U.S. 40.

1954 - A US Navy P2V-5 Neptune (BuNo 127752) of VP-2 departed NAS Iwakuni in Japan and headed toward the west coast of Korea. The flight continued north across the Korean DMZ, then along the North Korean coast to the coast of China before turning south. After reporting engine difficulties, the aircraft head towards the K-13 base at Suwan. The engine difficulties might have been a result of a hostile attack on the Neptune. The aircraft reached the vicinity of K-13 before crashing, possibly the result of an additional attack by a US Navy AD-4B Skyraider on night patrol. The crew of Jesse Beasley, Fredric Prael, Rex Claussen, Gordon Spicklemier, Lloyd Rensink, Bruce Berger, James Hand, Robert Archbold, Stanley Mulford and Paul Morelli were all killed.

1959 - Single-engine de Havilland Canada UC-1A Otter cargo aircraft, BuNo 144673, c/n 163, from VX-6, participating in Operation Deep Freeze IV, crashed during takeoff at Marble Point, Antarctica, about 50 miles from McMurdo Station. "As the aircraft departed the Marble Point runway it made a very steep left turn and the left wing hit a small knoll. The aircraft cart-wheeled and crashed." Lieutenant Harvey E. Gardner and Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Lawrence J. Farrell died. Joe Baugher lists crash date as 1 April 1959.

1960 - Three United States Army de Havilland Canada U-1A Otters, of the 329th Engineer Detachment, fly from Wheelus Air Base to Bengazi, Libya, but 55-2974 disappears over the Gulf of Sirte in the Mediterranean in a storm. Aircraft never found. Search suspended 8 January at 2030 hrs. One crew and nine passengers presumed dead. Lost are:
1st Lt. Walter Jefferson, Jr., pilot of the aircraft, Tulsa, OK.
2d Lt. Graydon W. Goss, Franklinville, NY.
Pfc Albert L. Callais, Plaquemine, LA.
Sp5 Donnald R. Fletcher, Salinas, CA.
Sp4 Henry Harvey, Bradenton, FL.
Sp4 George W. Hightower, Waskum, TX.
Pfc Stephen T. Novak, Massena, NY
Sp4 William C. Riley, North Adams, MA.
Sfc Kenneth E. Spaulding, The Bronx, NY.
Pfc Henry J. Weyer, Jr., Chicago., IL.

1961 - During Minimum Interval Takeoff (MITO) from Pease AFB, New Hampshire, Boeing B-47E Stratojet, 53-4244, of the 100th Bomb Wing, number 2 in a three-ship cell, loses control, crashes into trees, burns. Killed are aircraft commander, Capt. Thomas C. Weller, co-pilot 1st Lt. Ronald Chapo, navigator 1st Lt. J. A. Wether, and crew chief S/Sgt. Stephen J. Merva.

1964 - USAF Martin NRB-57D Canberra, 53-3973, of the Wright Air Development Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, suffers structural failure of both wings at 50,000 feet (15240 m), comes down in schoolyard at Dayton, Ohio, crew bails out. The U.S. Air Force subsequently grounds all W/RB-57D aircraft.

1989 - US Navy F-14A Tomcats, of VF-32, flown by Joseph Connelly (RIO Leo Enwright) and Hermon Cook (RIO Steven Collins), flying from the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), each shot down a Libyan MiG-23 Flogger over the Gulf of Sidra.

1989 - A female U.S. Navy airman of VA-42, was struck and killed by a Grumman A-6 Intruder being towed from a hangar at NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach, Virginia. The airman, whose name was withheld pending notification of family, was walking beside a wing of the attack bomber as it was being towed by a small tractor from the hangar to the flight-line, a Navy spokesman said.

Jan 05, 2019 #1324 2019-01-05T01:36

1949 - As five U.S. Navy Grumman F8F Bearcats make firing runs on a gunnery target sleeve towed by another aircraft, two fighters collide at 7,000 feet and plunge into the Pacific Ocean off San Francisco. Both pilots, Ens. Peter J. McHugh, of Alameda, and Lt. William R. Cecil, of Oakland, are feared lost.

1949 - A Douglas AD Skyraider, expected to return to NAS Alameda at 1150 hrs. after a routine two-hour flight, is declared missing shortly before 1400 hrs. when its fuel would be exhausted.

1949 – Test pilot Chuck Yeager performed the only ground take-off in a Bell X-1. With 50% fuel, he reached 23,000 feet (7,010 meters) and Mach 1.03.

1950 - A Boeing B-50A Superfortress, 46-021, c/n 15741 of the 3200th Proof Test Group out of Eglin AFB, crash lands in the Choctawhatchee Bay, northwest Florida, killing two of the 11 crew. Nine escape from the downed aircraft following the forced landing. The airframe settles in eight to ten feet of mud at a depth of 38 feet (12 m). Divers recover the body of flight engineer M/Sgt. Claude Dorman, 27, of Kingston, New Hampshire, from the nose of the bomber on Monday, 8 January. The body of S/Sgt. William Thomas Bell, 21, aerial photographer, who lived in Mayo, Florida, is recovered on Tuesday, 9 January, outside the plane from beneath the tail. The Eglin base public information officer identified the surviving crew as 1st Lt. Park R. Bidwell, instructor pilot 1st Lt. Vere Short, pilot 1st Lt. James S. Wigg, co-pilot Maj. William C. McLaughlin, bombardier and S/Sgt. Clifford J. Gallipo, M/Sgt. Alton Howard, M/Sgt. William J. Almand, T/Sgt. Samuel G. Broke, and Cpl. William F. Fitzpatrick, crewmen.

1955 - Two Boeing B-47E Stratojets of the 44th Bomb Wing from Lake Charles AFB, Louisiana, collide over the Gulf of Mexico during refuelling Wednesday night, causing one to crash and the other to limp home to base with damage, sans its observer who bailed out over the Gulf. Air-sea rescue teams began a search of the Gulf in an area some 30 miles SE of Cameron, Louisiana, on the Gulf coast. B-47E-5-DT, 52-029, is lost with all three crew. Observer who bailed out is never found. The pilot of the recovered bomber stated that the lost plane apparently smashed down on his aircraft from above, "leaving wheel tracks on the cabin before it spun off to crash in Gulf waters. Capt. Morris E. Shiver, 29, of Albany, Ga., said 'we never knew what hit us' as the two six-jet bombers crashed together Wednesday night about 30 miles southeast of Cameron, La. An armada of planes and ships searched Thursday for the four airmen missing after the crash. Three of them were aboard the B47 which plunged into the Gulf, while the fourth, 1st Lt. Matthew Gemery, of Lakewood, Ohio, an observer, could have returned on his limping plane had he waited another minute before ejecting himself. They identified Maj. Sterling T. Carroll, 33, of Port Arthur, Tex., as the commander of the plane that returned, and Shiver as the pilot. The other three missing airmen were Maj. Jean S. Pierson, of Danville, Ind., aircraft commander Capt. David O. Crump, of Albermarle, N.C. [sic], copilot, and father of six children, and 1st Lt. Rodney P. Egelston of Levelland, Tex., observer-bombardier."

1956 - Sole Piasecki YH-16A Turbo Transporter helicopter prototype, 50-1270, breaks up in flight at

1555 hrs. and crashes near Swedesboro, New Jersey, near the Delaware River, while returning to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from a test flight over New Jersey. The cause of the crash was later determined to be the aft slip ring, which carried flight data from the instrumented rotor blades to the data recorders in the cabin. The slip ring bearings seized, and the resultant torque load severed the instrumentation standpipe inside the aft rotor shaft. A segment of this steel standpipe tilted over and came into contact with the interior of the aluminum rotor shaft, scribing a deepening groove into it. The rotor shaft eventually failed in flight, which in turn led to the aft blades and forward blades desynchronizing and colliding. The aircraft was a total loss, the two test pilots, Harold Peterson and George Callaghan, were killed. This led to the cancellation not only of the YH-16, but also the planned sixty-nine-passenger YH-16B version.

1962 - Three crew killed in crash of U.S. Air Force Boeing B-47E Stratojet, AF Ser. No. 52-0615, of the 22d Bomb Wing, at March AFB, California. This would be the last fatal crash at that base until 19 October 1978. Pilot was Major Clarence Weldon Garrett.

1967 - Lockheed A-12, 60–6928, Article 125, lost during training/test flight. CIA pilot Walter Ray successfully ejects but is killed upon impact with terrain due to failed seat-separation sequence. The Air Force-issue seatbelt failed to release properly. The aircraft had run out of fuel for a variety of reasons.

1967 - Martin MGM-13 Mace, launched from Site A-15, Santa Rosa Island, Hurlburt Field, Florida, by the 4751st Air Defense Missile Squadron at

1021 hrs., fails to circle over Gulf of Mexico for test mission with two Eglin AFB McDonnell F-4 Phantom IIs, but heads south for Cuba. Third F-4 overtakes it, fires two test AAMs with limited success, then damages unarmed drone with cannon fire. Mace overflies western tip of Cuba before crashing in Caribbean 100 miles south of the island. International incident narrowly avoided. To forestall the possibility, the United States State Department asks the Swiss Ambassador in Havana to explain the circumstances of the wayward drone to the Cuban government. The Mace had been equipped with an "improved guidance system known as 'ASTRAN' which is considered unjammable." (This was apparently a typo for ATRAN – Automatic Terrain Recognition And Navigation terrain-matching radar navigation.)

1999 - A group of four Iraqi MiG-25s crossed the no-fly zones over Iraq and sparked a dogfight with two patrolling F-15Cs and two patrolling F-14Ds. A total of six missiles were fired at the MiGs, none of which hit. The MiGs then bugged out.

2011 – Former USS Kittiwake (ASR-13) was sunk as a reef off Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, in Marine Park.

Jan 07, 2019 #1325 2019-01-07T13:00

FY3wvwsZ0wT4IqpFOdq4sZhYV-3vYdlWvQuirux-xLKec7JJVCzqJP-kaDLUe-iWTbdWDICs6Dq9woKWQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA" />

Jan 17, 2019 #1326 2019-01-17T01:00

1865 - Confederate forces scuttled the screw transport Cape Fear and the steamer Pelteway in the Cape Fear River near Smithfield, North Carolina, to prevent their capture by Union forces.

1865 - The Union steamer Chippewa grounded on the south shore of the Arkansas River at Ivey's Ford, 14 miles (22.5 km) above Clarksville, Arkansas. Confederate forces captured her and her crew and passengers, removed her cargo, and burned the ship.

1955 - U.S. Navy Lockheed C-121J Super Constellation, BuNo 131639, c/n 4140, departs Harmon AFB, Newfoundland, at 0422 hrs. for a "routine transport flight" to its home-station, NAS Patuxent River, Maryland. At 0500, while over Prince Edward Island, two engines fail. The flight attempts to return to Harmon and a Boeing B-29 is dispatched to escort the crippled C-121, rendezvousing with it at 0504 over Cabot Strait, between Newfoundland and Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Twelve minutes later, the Constellation shut off its lights and other electrical equipment to facilitate the dumping of excess fuel. Within minutes the bomber lost radar contact with the transport and it vanished.
The Constellation went into a stormy sea amidst clouds and fog. The B-29 circled the area and finally spotted five life rafts and life jackets amidst wreckage at 0645 hrs., but no survivors. The six crew and seven passengers, twelve men and one woman, were lost. The plane's pilot was identified as Lt. Cdr. L. R. Fullmer, Jr., of Little Rock, Arkansas. The woman aboard was identified as Seaman Jeanette W. Elmer, 22, of Syracuse, New York.

1957 - During the second bomber stream of training mission, "WEDDING BRAVO", by 30 Convair B-36 Peacemaker bombers of the 7 th Bomb Wing, out of Carswell AFB, Texas, a jet engine explosion results in one B-36 landing at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, on fire. There was no further damage to the aircraft and no injuries to the crew, commanded by Capt. Robert L. Lewis.

1957 - A Boeing WB-50D Superfortress, 48-093, c/n 15902, (built as B-50D-95-BO) of the 58th Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, fully loaded with fuel for a 3,700-mile weather reconnaissance flight, crashes two minutes after a pre-dawn takeoff from Eielson AFB, Alaska, with the wreckage and fuel burning in an inferno 200 yards long and 50 yards wide on the flat land three miles N of the base. All twelve crew are killed.

1957 - "HONOLULU (UP) – A Navy pilot, Lt. (JG) Kenneth R. West Jr., 24, of Burlingame, Calif., was killed when his FJ-3 Fury crashed in the ocean shortly after takeoff from Kaneohe Air Station."

1957 - The crash of Martin B-57E-MA Canberra, 55-4283, c/n 385, at Biggs AFB, Texas, kills two and injures a third. Killed are 1st Lt. Russell E. Hanson, 24, Cudahy, Wisconsin, and 1st Lt. Thomas H. Higgins, 24, Walled Lake, Michigan.

1966 - A Boeing B-52G Stratofortress, 58-0256, of the 68th Bomb Wing out of Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina, collides with a KC-135A-BN Stratotanker, 61-0273, c/n 18180, flying boom during aerial refueling near Palomares, Almería in the 1966 Palomares B-52 crash, breaking bomber's back. Seven crew members are killed in the crash, two eject safely, and two of the B-52's Mark 28 nuclear bombs rupture, scattering radioactive material over the countryside. One bomb lands intact near the town, and another is lost at sea. It is later recovered intact 5 miles (8 km) offshore in deep trench. Two of the recovered weapons are exhibited at the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History, Albuquerque, New Mexico.

1966 - Two crew of a Republic F-105F Thunderchief based at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, escape injury when the engine of the fighter-bomber in which they are engaged in a photo-chase mission catches fire, forcing them to eject. The airframe impacts in East Bay, near Tyndall AFB, Florida at 1008 hrs. Pilot Capt. James D. Clendenen and photographer S/Sgt. J. G. Cain are recovered from the water by a Tyndall base helicopter.

1966 - A Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star on a night mission crashes and burns in a wooded area 11 miles NW of Eglin AFB, killing both crew members. According to the base information officer, the wreckage was in a densely wooded area which made the approach of rescue vehicles difficult. Killed while flying (KWF) were Capt. Robert D. Freeman, 30, of Lindsey, Oklahoma, and 2nd Lt. Roger A. Carr, 26, of Ames, Iowa. Both were residents of Fort Walton Beach, Florida and were assigned to the Air Proving Ground Center.

1993 - A USAF F-16C shoots down a MiG-23 when the MiG locks up the F-16.

1993 – Two IRAF Su-22 "Fitters" open fire on two USAF F-16s in protest of the no-fly zones. No aircraft are damaged in the encounter.

2003 - A US Marine Corps McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18D Hornet crashes into the Pacific Ocean off of MCAS Miramar, California, due to a material failure during a functional check flight with one engine shut down. Both crew eject safely and are recovered.

2013 - USS Guardian (MCM-5) ran hard aground upon the Tubbatabha Reef in the Sulu Sea. The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) admitted that the coastal scale Digital Nautical Chart (DNC) supplied to Guardian was flawed due to human error on the part of the NGA. This was an error that mislocated the Tubbataha Reef by 7.8 nautical miles east-southeast of its actual location. NGA was aware of this error in 2011 and updated a smaller scale electronic chart. NGA failed to publish a correction for the larger scale chart the ship was using when she ran aground.

Jan 18, 2019 #1327 2019-01-18T21:49

1871 - Wilhelm I is declare Emperor of Germany in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles - outside Paris.
1919 - The Paris Peace Conference opens - at Versailles.
2019 - HRH the Duke of Edinburgh is given the OK following an accident involving his Range Rover being T-Bones and flipped.

Jan 24, 2019 #1328 2019-01-24T03:02

1862 - Two Confederate blockade runners carrying cargoes of cotton, schooner Julia, and an unidentified bark, were forced to run themselves aground on the coast of Louisiana near the mouth of the Mississippi River by the screw steamer USS Mercedita and other pursuing ships of the Gulf Blockading Squadron. The vessels were then burned to prevent them from falling back into Confederate hands.

1862 – USS Peri, earmarked for scuttling as a blockship in Maffit's Channel in Charleston Harbor off Charleston, South Carolina, as part of the "Stone Fleet," was blown out to sea by a gale, where she drifted for three days before disappearing.

1865 – During the Battle of Trent’s Reach, torpedo boat CSS Scorpion was run aground on the James River in Virginia and abandoned. A United States Navy launch crew captured and refloated her on 27 January.

1870 - USS Oneida was a Mohican class wooden screw sloop and sister to the more famous USS Kearsarge. Commissioned in 1862, Oneida served effectively during the American Civil War, taking part in several shore bombardments and destroying two confederate ships. She was decommissioned at the end of the war.
Recommissioned in 1867, she was attached to the Asiatic Squadron. At 5:15 PM this date, USS Oneida departed Yokahama en route to Hong Kong under the command of Commander Edward P. Williams. At 6:30 PM, as the ship passed Saratoga Spit near the entrance to Tokyo Bay, the P&O Steamship Bombay struck her starboard side near the main and mizzen masts and shattered Oneida's starboard quarter. She sank in about fifteen minutes in 37 meters of water, taking 125 crew with her, including Captain Williams.

1936 - Keystone B-4A, 32-118, of the 23d Bomb Squadron, flown by Charles E. Fisher, and B-4A, 32-132, of the 72d Bomb Squadron, piloted by William G. Beard, both assigned to the 19th Bomb Group, collide 1,200 feet over Luke Field, Ford Island, Oahu, H. I., killing six of eight crew aboard the two bombers, described at the time as "the worst air accident in Hawaiian aviation history." Private Thomas E. Lanigan, Air Corps, and 2d Lieutenant Charles E. Fisher, Air Corps Reserve, become Caterpillar Club members 763 and 764, respectively, when they take to their parachutes.

1952 - Grumman SA-16A Albatross, 51-001, c/n G-74, of the 580th Air Resupply Squadron (a Central Intelligence Agency air unit of the Air Resupply and Communications Service), on cross-country flight from Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, to San Diego, California, suffers failure of port engine over Death Valley, crew of six successfully bails out at

1830 hrs. with no injuries, walks S some 14 miles to Furnace Creek, California where they are picked up the following day by an SA-16 from the 42d Air Rescue Squadron, March AFB, California. The abandoned SA-16 crashes into Towne Summit mountain ridge of the Panamint Range W of Stovepipe Wells with starboard engine still running. Wreckage is still there.

1957 - Two Boeing B-47B Stratojets of the 19th Bomb Wing, Homestead AFB, Florida, have mid-air near the Isle of Pines, Cuba, during refueling operations. B-47B-50-BWs, 51-2332, and -2352, collided during an early night operation.

1958 - "FUCHU, Japan (AP) – Three U.S. Air Force F-84G Thunderjets crashed into the sea tonight after takeoff from Iwakuni Air Base, western Japan. The bodies of the three pilots, whose names were withheld, had not been located five hours later, the Air Force said. The planes, from the 418th Fighter Training Squadron, Misawa Air Base, were on a training flight. 'Engines of all three aircraft appeared to flame out almost simultaneously on takeoff. The planes hit the water about 1,000 feet from the end of the runway,' the Air Force said." According to Joe Baugher, F-84G-20-RE, 51-1237, had a mid-air collision with flight mates F-84G-25-RE, 51–1300 and F-84G-25-RE, 51-1312, during the takeoff sequence.

1958 - A U.S. Navy Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind, BuNo 128446, "Indian Ocean Tradewind", assigned to VR-2, claims a new Honolulu-Alameda speed record for seaplanes, despite the loss of one engine en route. The Navy said that the Tradewind's 5 hours and 54 minutes bettered an old record for a seaplane, also set by a Tradewind, at 6 hours and 54 minutes. After departing from Keehi Lagoon, Hawaii, the Tradewind suffered the loss of the number one propeller (port outer) when it tore loose about 350 miles from the mainland, slashing a six- to eight-foot hole in the hull below the waterline, and damaging electrical control lines. None of the 17 on board were injured, either, when the R3Y slammed into the breakwater after landing in San Francisco Bay, California, due to a runaway turboprop engine that would not respond to control inputs due to the electrical system damage from the propeller strike. Tenente Cdr. Homer C. Ragsdale was the pilot on this flight. The Navy announces on 30 January that all three R3Y Tradewinds will remain grounded until a five-man accident board can determine what caused the crash of a fourth when it struck a seawall at Naval Air Station Alameda, California, after also losing a propeller in flight. Ultimately, this was the last straw for the troubled P5Y and R3Y program. Four of the design had crashed, including one of two XP5Y-1 prototypes, all attributed to on-going issues with the problematic Allison T-40 turboprop powerplants and their associated gearboxes. The Navy abandoned further interest in the engine and all aircraft using it. VR-2 was disestablished 16 April 1958, and all P5Y and R3Y airframes broken up.

1961 - A U.S. Air Force Boeing B-52G Stratofortress, 58-0187, (the last Block 95 airframe), Keep 19, of the 4241st Strategic Wing, 822d Air Division, Eighth Air Force, on Coverall airborne alert suffers structural failure, fuel leak, of starboard wing over Goldsboro, North Carolina, wing fails when flaps are engaged during emergency approach to Seymour Johnson AFB, two weapons on board break loose during airframe disintegration, one parachutes safely to ground, second impacts on marshy farm land, breaks apart, sinks into quagmire. Air Force excavates fifty feet down, finds no trace of bomb, forcing permanent digging easement on site. According to the Wikipedia article pertaining to this incident, parts of the weapon WERE recovered. The tail was found at 22 feet down, along with the plutonium core as well as other fragments. The project is abandoned before the entire uranium mass could be recovered, due to uncontrollable ground-water flooding. The USAF purchased the land, to safeguard the in situ remains. Five of eight crew survive.

1963 - USAF Boeing B-52C Stratofortress, 53-0406, of the 99th Bombardment Wing, out of Westover AFB, Massachusetts on a low-level flight training mission, commanded by Col. Dante Bulli, 40, of Cherry, Illinois, hits turbulence while flying

100 ft. above the ground as it approached Elephant Mountain near Greenville, Maine, loses vertical fin. Conditions were reported as air speed of 280 knots, outside temperature 14 degrees below zero, with the winds gusting to 40 knots. As the bomber went out of control, the pilot ordered ejection. Only three crew got out: Bulli and Capt. Gerald Adler, 31, of Houston, Texas, survived, though Adler was badly injured. The copilot, Major Robert J. Morrison was killed when he hit a tree while parachuting to the ground. Lt. Col. Joe R. Simpson, Jr, Maj. William W. Gabriel, Maj. Robert J. Hill, Capt. Herbert L. Hansen, Capt. Charles G. Leuchter, and TSgt. Michael F. O'Keefe did not have time to eject and perished. A Douglas C-54 Skymaster from Goose Bay, Labrador drops a team of paramedics to aid the two survivors, who are then transported by helicopter to Dow Air Force Base, Bangor, Maine, where they are pronounced to be in "good condition."

1964 - A US Air Force T-39 Sabreliner, based in Weisbaden West Germany, was shot down by a Soviet fighter over Thuringia, about 60 miles inside East Germany while on a training flight. The crew of three, Gerald Hannaford, John Lorraine and Donald Millard were killed.

1991 - LTV A-7E Corsair II, BuNo 158830, 'AC 403', of VA-72 has the dubious distinction of being the last of the type in US Navy service to need a barricade landing aboard a carrier when the nose gear was damaged on catapult launch from USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), at start of mission 12.41 against a target in western Iraq, losing one tire. Pilot, Lt. Tom Dostie, succeeds in hooking 1-wire and aircraft snags safely in barricade. Since the A-7 type was about to be retired, airframe is stripped for parts and buried at sea 25 January with full military honors, but refuses to sink until strafed by air wing jets. This disposition is in question, however. Joe Baugher states that there is an A-7 marked as 158830 preserved in Museo dell'Aviazione near Rimini, Italy. It was reported as damaged during Desert Storm and was left at Sigonella, Italy.


O que Lansing registros de família você vai encontrar?

There are 30,000 census records available for the last name Lansing. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Lansing census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 2,000 immigration records available for the last name Lansing. As listas de passageiros são o seu bilhete para saber quando seus ancestrais chegaram aos EUA e como eles fizeram a viagem - do nome do navio aos portos de chegada e partida.

There are 8,000 military records available for the last name Lansing. For the veterans among your Lansing ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.

There are 30,000 census records available for the last name Lansing. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Lansing census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 2,000 immigration records available for the last name Lansing. As listas de passageiros são o seu bilhete para saber quando seus ancestrais chegaram aos EUA e como eles fizeram a viagem - do nome do navio aos portos de chegada e partida.

There are 8,000 military records available for the last name Lansing. For the veterans among your Lansing ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.


Industry and Education Join Government

Automotive innovator Ransom E. Olds, who used gasoline power instead of steam, founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company in 1897. Olds is credited with building the first practical automobile, and by the turn of the century his company was the world's largest car manufacturer and had earned a reputation for high quality. Olds's company lived on as the Oldsmobile Division of General Motors until its discontinuation in 2004. By 1904 Lansing was the base of more than 200 manufacturing businesses and a world leader in the production of agricultural implements, automobiles, and gasoline engines.

Farmers had created the Michigan Agricultural Society in 1850 as a means to be heard in the state legislature. Many of the settlers from the East placed high value on education and culture they petitioned the state legislature through the Agricultural Society for a college of agriculture to be founded separately from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The nation's oldest land-grant institution, created as part of Michigan's state constitution of 1850, was thus granted authorization in 1855. The Michigan Agricultural College was founded on 676 acres in the woods three miles east of Lansing in present-day East Lansing, which was granted a city charter in 1907. The name of the college was changed to Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences in 1923, and became a university upon its centennial celebration in 1955. Finally, in 1964, the name was shortened to Michigan State University.

Today, Lansing is a community where government, industry, education, and culture thrive. Although the city itself has witnessed a population decrease of 6.4 percent, the metropolitan area has increased by 3.5 percent. Residents enjoy the area for its economic stability and variety of activities. The business climate is active and was recognized by Entrepreneur magazine in 2003 as number seven on its list of ⊾st Cities for Entrepreneurs: Top Midsize Cities in the Midwest." The nearby residence of Michigan State University fosters an academia-minded atmosphere that contributed to the area's seventh place ranking in Richard Florida's bestselling book "Rise of the Creative Class" in 2002 as one of the "Top Ten Most Creative Small Cities."

Informação histórica: Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St., Lansing, MI 48909-7507 telephone (517)373-1580 fax (517)373-4480


USS Slater Signal


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"

Nov 28, 2017 #2 2017-11-29T04:17

Nov 29, 2017 #3 2017-11-29T17:30

"Give Me A Fast Ship For I Intend To Go In Harm's Way"


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"

Nov 29, 2017 #4 2017-11-29T20:01

Nov 29, 2017 #5 2017-11-29T22:44

History of the USS Slater
http://usssanfrancisco.org/Ship%20Photos/slater_w.jpg[/img]The Slater is a Cannon Class Destroyer Escort. Of the 565 destroyer escorts produced in World War II, USS SLATER (DE-766) is the only one remaining afloat in the United States, and the only one with original battle armament and configuration. These trim but deadly warships had the duty of looking out for enemy submarines and kamikazes as they escorted ship convoys across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Visitors have a chance to see what life was like for the sailors who manned these vessels when they come aboard this Cannon Class destroyer escort in Albany, N.Y.

The USS Slater is named for FRANK O. SLATER of Alabama, a sailor killed aboard the USS San Francisco during the Battle of Guadalcanal in 1942. See link for more information.

On Sunday 26 October 97, Mayor Jerry Jennings was presented with Slater's Navy Cross and Purple Heart. DEHF has asked the Mayor to hold the decorations until they can be safely displayed aboard the Slater.

The Destroyer Escorts were named for Naval heroes, particularly those from early in World War II.

The USS Slater was "laid down" 9 March 1943, lauched 13 February 1944 and Commissioned 1 May 1944. See CONSTRUCTION, LAUNCHING, and COMMISSIONING, for more information and pictures.

After a shakedown cruise near Bermuda in June 1944, SLATER headed for Key West where she served as a target ship (see account of duty) and as a sonar school ship. In the latter part of 1944, the ship escorted two convoys to England. SLATER continued her Atlantic convoy duty from January through May 1945 when she escorted three convoys to Wales.

After returning to New York, SLATER headed for the Pacific, stopping at Guantanamo Bay and Panama. She went through the canal on June 28 and stopped at San Diego before sailing to Pearl Harbor. From there, she joined Task Unit 33.2.4 at Manila in September and escorted it to Yokohama. Through the remainder of the year, she escorted convoys to Manila, Japan, Biak, N.E.I. and the Caroline Islands. SLATER operated from the Philippines during January 1946 and then sailed to San Pedro, California.

SLATER made another pass through the Panama Canal on her way to Norfolk for inactivation. She sailed to Green Cove Springs, Florida in April 1946 and was then transferred to Charleston in February 1947. The Navy placed her in reserve, out of commission, in Green Cove Springs in May 1947. See LOG OF THE USS SLATER for complete war record and pictures.

On March 1, 1951, SLATER was transferred to the Hellenic Navy under the Truman Doctrine. Renamed Aetos-01, the ship served as a Hellenic Navy Officer Training Vessel until 1991 when Greece donated the ship to the Destroyer Escort Sailors Association . The ship had also been used in a number of movies including "The Guns of Navarone" .

Destroyer escort sailors from around the nation donated $275,000 to bring the ship back to the United States. A Russian tugboat brought the vessel back to New York City from Crete on August 27, 1993 where it was docked next to INTREPID. Volunteers the began restoring the ship to her World War II configuration.

DEHF was seeking a permanent home for the ship and sought assistance from DMNA in so doing. The Division of Military and Naval Affairs, Military History Branch coordinated the initial meetings between DEHF and the City of Albany. In July 1997 the DEHF and the City of Albany signed letters of intent to have the ship permanently located in Albany, NY, on the Hudson River. SLATER sailed up the Hudson to New York's capital and on Sunday 26 October 1997 the USS Slater arrived at the Port of Albany. See RECENT HISTORY of the USS Slater, with pictures. Was the Aetos the USS Slater ? and is the ship in Albany actually the Slater ? See the interesting first person account in Yard Birds Save Buns

The Destroyer Escort Historical Museum hired historic ship expert Tim Rizzuto, formerly of the USS KIDD in Baton Rouge, to lead SLATER's restoration. Assisted by education and tour coordinator, Nancy Buxton, Rizzuto has recruited and organized teams of volunteers to complete the ship's restoration. Professionals donate their time to bring about the ship's transformation. For example, the electrical team worked for months in the dark in freezing temperatures with only flashlights to guide them in order to restore electrical power to the ship. Engineers meet on Saturdays to work on the ship's General Motors diesel engine. Maintenance crews gather to chip paint, paint, clean, and remove layers of tile to restore the ship's spaces.

Tour guides, many of them Navy veterans, lead visitors through the ship to help them gain a sense of how the 216-man crew functioned. Others actively promote the ship and seek funding to fuel the restoration. The collections team catalogs the hundreds of artifacts, photos, documents and personal papers donated to the museum, which will be the center for destroyer escort-related history. On March 20th the SLATER was officially listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places. Listing on the National Register was formally presented on Veteran's Day 11 November 1998. See Slater Signals index for monthly news on progress in the restoration of this ship.

The USS Slater is owned by the Destroyer Escort Historical Museum (DEHM) , a 501 (c) 3 organization.

The ship is not owned by the US Navy and therefore is not subject to recall to active service in the event of war.

The DEHM supports the USS Slater and three Naval Museums with financial contributions and programs such as assistance with renovations, development of a strong tourism base and national media exposure.

On December 7, 1941 the naval and air forces of the Japanese Empire launched a surprise attack on the U.S. Navy's pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. More than 2,000 soldiers and sailors lost their lives and 13 ships were sunk. One ship, the USS Oklahoma, capsized and sunk. Aboard the USS Oklahoma was US Navy Ensign Charles M. Stern, Jr. of Albany. Commissioned an Ensign in the US Navy Reserve in August of 1940, Ensign Stern was killed in the sneak attack.

For his efforts during the attack on Pearl Harbor, a Cannon Class Destroyer Escort (same class as the USS Slater) was named for Ensign Stern, the USS Stern - DE 187 .

Local Connections Other Than Albany

The following ships, all Destroyer Escorts were named for locally born naval hereos in the early days of WW II:

USS Herzog - DE 178 was named for Troy, NY native William Ralph Herzog, born 29 December 1909. This was also Cannon Class.

USS Frament - DE 677 was named for Paul Stanley Frament born 17 August 1919 in Cohoes, NY.

USS Haines - DE 792 was named for Richard Alexander Haines born 28 April 1903 at Haines Falls, NY.

"Give Me A Fast Ship For I Intend To Go In Harm's Way"


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"


History of the Lansing River Trail

Lansing’s Urban River became the prime focus of civic leaders in the 1960’s. By the early 1970’s a specific Waterfront Master Plan and been prepared, which established the first formal policy for the continued acquisition and redevelopment of targeted central city properties.

Implementation of the Waterfront Plan began with acquisition of deteriorated industrial and warehouse properties along the riverbank. Purchased at a cost of $2,000,000, twenty-seven parcels within the central city had been transformed, by 1976, into Riverfront Park.

The key feature of the park is the 2 ½ mile continuous Riverfront Trail which interconnects all river-oriented features in the central city.

The first section of RiverTrail opened in 1975.

In 1981 the Riverwalk received the esteemed designation as a National Recreation Trail by the United States Department of the Interior, which referred to it as “….a unique central city trail along a Waterfront….”

The longest extension took place in 1983. This one-half mile section was built on an overgrown riverbank railroad bed and was, at that time, the southern-most reach of the River Trail.

1985 construction switched the route to the Red Cedar River where it was incorporated into the new Potter Park and Zoo Master Plan. From here, the pathway continued the final 1 ½ miles to the MSU Campus in East Lansing.

In 2004 the Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council (Mid MEAC) received a grant from the DALMAC Bike Tour to assess the use and users of the Lansing River Trail. The survey was conducted from July 17 through September 16, 2004.

Observation points for this survey were Clipper Street, Aurelius Road, Pennsylvania Avenue, River Point Park (western spur), Impression 5 and Turner-Dodge. During the study period, 495 surveys were distributed, with 354 (72%) completed and returned. Those not responding were most likely to cite a lack of time, training and couldn’t stop or already completing a survey and not wanting to do a second.

Observation highlights showed the LRT had 72,040 estimated uses May 1 through September 30, 2004, with 64% on weekdays and 36% on weekends. Adults (18 and over) accounted for 86% of the uses and children for 14%. Of the adult uses, 49% were bicycling, 46% were walking/running and 5% were inline skating. For children, 62% were bicycling, 34% were walking/running and 4% were inline skating.

Use highlights from the surveys showed most (65%) LRT uses were by Lansing residents, with 15% by East Lansing residents and 29% from elsewhere. For adults, males accounted for 57% of the uses and females for 43%. One-third (33%) of the adult uses were by people who were 50 and over, 39% were by those 35 to 49 and 28% were by those 18 to 34. More than half (55%) of LRT use was done without driving a vehicle to it. Approximately half (48%) of the uses were by people that lived two miles or less from the trail. Eighty-four percent of uses were for two hours or less and 93% were rated as satisfactory experiences.

Distinct user highlights provided on an average, distinct visitors used the LRT 10 time per year and 5% were disabled.

Slightly more than half (54%) of LRT uses were by those who did not drive a vehicle to reach the trail. While more than half (60%) lived three miles or less from the trail, many who work in Lansing or East Lansing and commute used the trail during the work day.


Assista o vídeo: Alfred Lansing - A incrível viagem de Shackleton - Audio Book Parte II (Pode 2022).